This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Problem booting my dual-boot Win7-Win10

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So there's a bit of story… I've always gotten great help here so I'm crossing my fingers that someone can help.

 

I run a dual boot system, one SSD with Win7, one with Win10. I only use the 7 for older programs and game that have trouble with Windows 10.

Yesterday, I had turned off the computer and used the SATA and power cables of the Windows 7 SSD to power another SSD I have for storage of media. For some reason it shuts off when I use a dock so I have to connect it directly to the motherboard to copy files to it.

When I went to boot up the Windows 7 SSD after finishing with my copying, I got this…

[external image: 20180502_003826.jpg][external image: 20180502_003848.jpg]

 

But wait…there's more.

 

I have a bigger problem now.

I went into EasyBCD thinking that maybe the two drives just needed to be reconnected again to the boot menu. So I did that. I re-assigned each drive to a bootup option for Win7 and Win10. Now NEITHER boots. Even the C drive boots to a "failed to start error".

So now I get this on my C drive…
[external image: 20180502_143500.jpg]

The Windows 10 disc I have says it can't repair. Can anyone help me figure out what might be wrong and how to fix this? Some specs that might be of assistance below.
Thank you!!

————————————–

Operating System
            Windows 7 / 10 64-bit
        CPU
            Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz    60 °C
            Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
        RAM
            16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
        Motherboard
            Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68A-D3-B3 (Socket 1155)    39 °C
        Graphics
            3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)    52 °C
        Storage
            232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (SSD)    40 °C {— (this is the Windows 10 SSD)
            1863GB Seagate ST2000VX000-1CU164 (SATA)    37 °C
            3726GB Seagate ST4000DM005-2DP166 (SATA)    33 °C
            465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD)    29 °C {— (this is the Windows 7 SSD)
        Optical Drives
            ATAPI iHBS112 2

Hi tinpanalley, It looks like none of our members have been able(so far) to come up with any suggestions… :(

 

Have you resolved the issue or are you still needing assistance?

Regards

paws

Hi tinpanalley, It looks like none of our members have been able(so far) to come up with any suggestions… :(

 

Have you resolved the issue or are you still needing assistance?

Regards

paws

I've solved this particular problem but I'm still trying to learn a way to have both drives available for a dual boot without having to go into the boot menu every time I load up the computer.

Just wanted to add here that I resolved the problem by simply reinstalling Windows7 and Windows10 fresh to each harddrive. I simply couldn't find any other way that was worth the trouble.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI