This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

system recovery

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Macrium Reflect has a small caveat when restoring from a 1 TB external drive to a new smaller 500 GB drive that it is automatically shrinking the partition - however, the next page says Delta Trim cannot work with shrunken partitions.

My question is, "If you miss that small caveat, what would happen to the recovery?  Would it just dismiss and function, recover wrongfully or issue a warning? I have the free version so have no access to the forum.

 

Thank you for your help

Peter,

 

I'm sorry that your question has been "languishing" here.  I have never used Macrium Reflect nor do I have any useful knowledge about it.  I must assume that you have managed to "stump" the techs here with your question.  I can't even find any information on a function called Delta Trim.

 

So, for what it is worth, here is what I think (I "know" nothing).  What I'm thinking is that when restoring to a smaller space…. the "shrinking" occurs when it is "unused" space on the original partition.  Data does not shrink.  My guess is that once the data is compressed, you cannot shrink the partition any farther… because there is no "unused" space.

 

As I said.  This is all conjecture.

HI Tom

Thank you for your attention to this issue. I have since used Macrium several times and it is obvious to me now that if you miss the caveat, the program, being more clever than the operator, follows the proper choices. 

No problem with latency as I think WTT is my 2nd home. I have enjoyed so many conversations and made such nice acquaintances.

I know I have set a record for over posting but the respondents seem to be willing to participate. I truly enjoy being part of a thread at WTT.

Thanks again.

Peter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI