This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

image

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello Would you recommend that I use intelligent sector or clone to image my system. I kow the 1st takes 8 minutes and the 2nd, 25 minutes. I want to be able to recover a lost file if necessary and I did not know if the shorter method would allow me to do this. I know with Acronis the 8 minutes allows for single file recovery but was not sure about Macrium. Thank you
Both allow you to recover a single file or folder. I prefer Acronis True Image because of some of it's other features, especially F11 at boot to do a restore if needed. I use Macruim on my work systems and it's also a very good program.
Hello When I image with Acronis, I can go to My Comp, double click on the backup and I see my C: drive which I can further open to my docs etc. When I do the same with Macrium, after I double click on My Comp, instead of seeing my C: drive, I see a box asking me to enter a drive letter for Windows. This is over my head. Is this because I used to image with Macrium using the longer method and now am using the recommended method? I could swear I used to see Macrium open from the image to the C: drive and further to my files just like Acronis does. The images I am making now are about 7 minutes for each pc of the same size. Should I choose the longer backup with Macrium to see the C: drive so I can get a single file for example? Thank you
Where do you control the backup method? All I've ever done is install it and create a backup. Took all defaults, so that is probably the longer method. All their web site says it you can access the images using Windows Explorer.
I think I am following defaults but maybe the free version I have and the paid version are different. To back up; 1-I open Macrium 2-open the wizard by clicking on 'create a backup' 3-tic my C: to be backed up and follow the wizard I use medium compression and tic 'Intelligent sector copy(recommended)' rather than 'clone' because clone takes longer. Now in MY Comp I double click the back up icon which looks like reflect and a blue box appears which says,"select the image you wish to browse and associate a drive letter in explorer. Beneath in the box is a box listing the backup and if you tic the box it puts a E: in the box, Next time back it puts a F: then a G:. If I ok it, folders appear; The first is a long list of letters and numbers which if I open it are AMD and i386. Then there is, Dell, Docs and settings, oem settings program files winows. I never saw this before. When I use Acronis, it takes the same amount of time to do a backup(( 7 minutes) with my desktop and to browse I just go to my Comp and double click to get to the file or folder I want. I guess I will try to backup both cloning then intelligent sector and see if I can just browse in My Comp. This may sound redundant but you can browse in My Comp with Macrium by just opening the folder and opening each of the backups, like Acronis, correct? Do you use Intelligent sector or clone?
For those reading this thread I wanted to amend my last post. This has to do with browsing the image . Towards the end of instructions as to how to browse the Macrium directions say," Click ok to mount the drive. Windows explorer will now open to the dive just mounted." This does not happen with me. When I click ok the box just remains as it was before I clicked ok. Any information greatly appreciated as I have no access to the forum with my free version. I can recover but not browse.
If I remember (not a given) I'll look at Macrium at the shop and see how I have it set up. I don't think I use Intelligent Sector Copy though, just took all defaults as I don't care how long it takes.
When you click advanced you will see the choice of compression levels.
Also, the top circle is not defaulted but recommended. It is the intelligent sector by sector copy.
The bottom circle has a dot in it and is the cloning one. I see where it says (a single file can be retrieved).
I tried both and in each case when I click on MY Computer, a folder with the images appears. But, unlike Acronis where you can keep opening C: and further, with Macrium, a box appears. It asks for a check and a letter which I did BUT it says when you check ok explorer will open so you can browse. This does not happen.The box remains. If you click it again the letter goes from E: to G; but nothing happens. I had to "unmount" but am at a loss as to why I cannot browse.
If you can ask the forum I wold really appreciate it as I have Googled this to death. The fact that I have not found anything leads me to believe I have something wrong or do not understand something. It must be me or there would be references to the problem. I read that free and full are the same but I suspect this could be the difference.
Thank you for your help.
I had to use my Macrium backup yesterday to fix a messed up driver problem that was causing a BSOD and after that, I looked at the Macrium backup but I can't remember what happened. I think I was in the middle of a small crisis at the time. I'll look again tomorrow and take some notes.

Have you tried posting in one of the Macrium forums? Someone there may be able to answer your question immediately.

I had to use my Macrium backup yesterday to fix a messed up driver problem that was causing a BSOD and after that, I looked at the Macrium backup but I can't remember what happened. I think I was in the middle of a small crisis at the time. I'll look again tomorrow and take some notes.

Have you tried posting in one of the Macrium forums? Someone there may be able to answer your question immediately.



>>I can't use the forum because i have the free version. I have looked over the forum answers but none pertain to me. Google ofers no help.
Yes, I wold appreciate it if you coud look into browsing so I can make some decisions. I am glad you were able to fix the problem at work ; I used it to recover once and it was great.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you
Hello Z I have good news for you. I worked on browsing "to recover a dropped file" if necessary and finally was able to do it. I know you are much more proficient than I but if you wish any help I shall be very happy to share my experience with you so you too may pick up a droped file if necessary. I spent a lot of time and if I can save you some time just let me know.

That would be excellent if you would post the directions here, for me and for anyone else who happens by.


>>**Browsing with Macrium Reflect:
Please note that you may have to follow obvious prompts that are not totally included here but this will get you to be able to copy and paste any Docs for example so you can retrieve a dropped file + others.
If my directions leave something out that is not working for you, please let me know so that I can help.
*Remember, when you mount, ( so you can see your files + folders with Windows) you should note to unmount after. This is done at the MacriumRefelct site-just hover your cursor over the little magnifying glass with a red cross which says detech a backup etc..
To unmount: Click Restore tasks, >browse an image, check box, ok, explorer opens( a page with folders, click prog files, open Macrium, explore relect, PEBuilder explore, PE open+ explore macrium, explore Files, open PEExplorer,double clk the orinal drive letter e.x. E:(use little folder at top, Docs + settings>Admin>copy my docs to desktop + open and paste, . Please note you cannot open my Docs in Macrium. You have to open it once you have pasted My Docs or whatever to the desktop, then you can find your file..
Once you have rertrieved your file or folder, remember to unmount.
You may wish to use variations but if you are having trouble following these steps, please ask for further directions.
I truly think Macruium could have ben a little more clear with directions but it was very nice of them to offer an imaging program for
free. Those of you who can access the forum might want to pass this information along and ask Macrium to make their directions for "Browsing" a little clearer..
Okay, tried it here at the shop. I did not have to do anything special. Simply clicked on the Macrium .mrimg file which opened a Backup Selection window. Selected the check box of the C: drive and left the default drive as G: then clicked OK. I got a Assigning G: window then a new Explorer window opened where I could drag and drop any files/folder I wanted anywhere I wanted.

Okay, tried it here at the shop.

I did not have to do anything special. Simply clicked on the Macrium .mrimg file which opened a Backup Selection window.
Selected the check box of the C: drive and left the default drive as G: then clicked OK.
I got a Assigning G: window then a new Explorer window opened where I could drag and drop any files/folder I wanted anywhere I wanted.



>>I gues we are doing the same until you got your new letter and clicked "ok".
Here we part ways as my message indicates.
I needed to keep opening folders, as I indicated, in order to actually retrieve my file.
This is probably due to my level of skill;at least i can retrieve a file if i need to.
Glad you found it easier.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI