This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Macrium Reflect Free

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello When I backup I see a line that reads 8.50 GB selected yet I have checked the boxes that include my system backup. After the 30" backup t reads 8.50 selected space but also states that both the Dell partition and the C: were backed up. if there are any Macrium users, or otherwise, can yopu explain this issue to me? I want to believe i am backing the entire system up. :blush: Thank you
Don't understand, sorry.

What does this mean? yet I have checked the boxes that include my system backup
What does this mean? After the 30" backup
What is the Dell partition? Is the the hidden recovery partition you access via Ctrl+F11 at boot time?

I use Macrium regularly and have never had any trouble but I am not trying to backup a recovery partition.

Don't understand, sorry.

What does this mean? yet I have checked the boxes that include my system backup
What does this mean? After the 30" backup
What is the Dell partition? Is the the hidden recovery partition you access via Ctrl+F11 at boot time?

I use Macrium regularly and have never had any trouble but I am not trying to backup a recovery partition.



>>There are boxes to check when you want to, "Create a backup image of entire disc or selected partitions. I check all which include 1- Dell utility 8 mb(I do not know what it is). and 2- C: = 37.2 GB.
The image procedure takes about thirty minutes.
The 8.7 Gb 's I asked about I see when the backup begins and I find it in the log after the backup and verify.
Under the summary in the log it states, backup type full, compression medium etc and again it states" Total Selected = 8.75 GB.
That term Total Selected = 8.75 GB confuses me as it reads as though I selected a total of 8.75 GB to backup.
I know it means something else but do not know what that is.
Hope this clarifies the issue.
Dell Utility 8MB …. that sounds extremely small, definitely to small to hold the system recovery data.

I'm not sure what is happening, though 30 minutes sounds about right for a backup.

Please ask for help with this in the Macrium Reflect Forums. I'm sure someone there will be able to answer your question.

If you can, please post a link here to your thread in one of the Macrium forums when you create it. I'd like to see what you find out.
I certainly wish I coud post in the forum but it is for those who have purchased, and I am using the free version. I paid for Acronis True Image Home 2010 for my desktop and use Macrium for my laptop. Had I used both prior to purchasing, I would have bought Macrium as it can be utilized by low level users as myself to high level users. Acronis can be a bit more difficult for me. To the point though, I too think I have my ystem backed up based on the time it takes and the fact that C: is included in the log. It is good to know you are a Macrium user as I hope I can come here again with a post if necessary.
Hi,
The 8.7 GB partition, is your Dell Restore partition, it's used if and when you ever have a need to restore your machine to its "factory state" ie the exact state it was in when you unpacked it from the box fresh from the factory. There is no real need to include this partition, more than once when you make your disc images using Macrium.

The usual procedure is to take a disc image of your c drive only, so in the event of serious trouble that cannot be resolved by the usual means you have a method of restoring your c drive so that your computer works again. The advantage of the Macrrium over the Dell Recovery partition is that Macrium will restore your c drive to the exact state it was in When you made the image and that will normally include all additional applications installed by you, and your settings emails internet etc. (Contrast this with the Factory or out of the box state achieved via the Dell Recovery partition.

Its a good idea to keep your original disc image separated (an external USB hard drive is recommended) ie the first one you made when your machine was running fast and sweet with no malicious elements present no junk files, fully defragged and lean and mean and fast! as this is your fallback position……. if you took a disc image last week…..perhaps just after you might have attracted an infection or Windows system instability then reimaging from this faulty disc image would not be wise.

In your posts you did mention that you were backing up (imaging) the 8.7Mb partition and I'm pretty sure you meant to type 8.7GB….
Regards
paws
Hello
I am confused. I got my desktop in 2004. In 2005 Dell said I just missed having the recovery partition that 'makes' the pc like it was from the factory.
I got my laptop (2002) and it is the one that has Macrium with the 8.7 ? byte partiton.
I think that partition has to do with diagnostics and the recovery partition you speak of came out in 2005.
Below is a bit of an article I was reading. I had hoped to bring more information to this discussion.
I remember years ago, seeing discussions about some confusion regarding the utility partitions.
I will continue to look into this although I defer to your much higher level of competency. I wanted to surface the possible discrepancy between "utitity" partitions and their functions.


>>How old is this Dell?
by MarkFlax - 3/15/06 12:14 PM In reply to: Dell PC Recovery by lunaray
Dell computers shipped after Nov 2004 had the recovery partition and didn't always ship with the XP CD's.
But Dells shipped before Nov 2004 didn't always ship with a recovery partition. If you have the original Dell OEM XP disks, then it is likely you have no recovery partition, and should repair install, or re-install from the disk anyway.>>
Also,
>>Insert your windows 2000 or XP CD.
Open the command prompt, either from menu or by going to start, run, and typing
cmd.exe
and then return.
opens command prompt windows.
now, issue this command:
d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
where d: is the drive letter of your CD ROM drive. There will be some basic setup questions. Then, reboot. You can now select the recovery console from the boot menu, which can help you diagnose problems with your machine.
I did not realize Macrium forums were only open to users who purchased their Pro offering. Have you ever used the Dell Utility partition? If I were you , I would try a backup for just that partition, see if it works. If yes, then dump it to CD and never back it up again. Then do C: backup as Paws said. Just curious, do you have the Dell Reinstallation CDs?
I helped a couple of friends use their "recovery" option when they bought new pcs. You send the recovery information to 3 dvd's instead of the factory sending you the cds to format and reinstall. After this partition has done the job once, it does not exist so to speak. I believe that is why my laptop says it has this partition and my desktop does nt have it - the desktop has only C:. My daughter must have used the recovery partition and now it just resides but uselessly. Fortunately, I do have both installation cds with driver cds for both the computers. As they were gifts, some of the links to my knowledge chain are missing. All in all, Paws is correct, thankfully and as usual. I will no longer check off utility partition when I do a backup. Sorry to have caused confusion but I am happy to know what the partition was for. I'll be back to discuss the "Total selected 8.5 GB" if it occurs again without the utility partion being checked. Post thought: the laptop, in 'my computer' says, dvd/cd-rw. That is a cd burner right? They must have had to burn a lot of cds as the newer ones use 3 dvds. Also, I found it odd that they would have both this utility and the installation drivers cds. Anything is possible like losing something and sending away. Thank you, Paws + Ztruker for your help

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI