This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

2 different scanners are no longer communicating with laptop, deeper p

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, Thank you in advance for your help!
 
I'm on a Dell XPS L702X laptop, running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit.
 
All of a sudden my 2 scanners can no longer communicate with my laptop.  The only recent software update I've downloaded is an AVG update.
 
When one of the scanners wasn't connecting about 2 weeks ago, I ran a Microsoft Fix It (called "Hardware devices are not working or not detected in Windows"), and I thought that fixed the problem, as I was able to scan via USB right after the Fix It.  I was able to scan as recently as 5 days ago.
 
But as of today, 2 scanners can no longer communicate with the laptop, and there must be a deeper problem, right?
 
Scanner 1 is a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 that connects via a USB cable (no wifi function).  I push scan on the Fujitsu (connected via USB), and ScanSnap is successfully initiated on the laptop, so I know some kind of initial handshake is occurring.  The ScanSnap window pops up as if the scanner connection is working, then a separate error window pops up that says "Failed to communicate with the ScanSnap. (0x00000000)" etc., so I know the connection is unable to complete.

 

The full ScanSnap Manager message states: 

"Failed to communicate with the ScanSnap. (0x00000000)
 
Disconnect the cable then connect it again.  If the problem persists, contact your FUJITSU scanner dealer or an authorized FUJITSU scanner service provider."
 
Scanner 2 is a multi-function Brother printer, MFC-7860DW.  It usually connects wirelessly or as a back-up, via USB.  I tried both. Much like the Fujitsu, an initial handshake is successful.  I push the scan controls, and the Brother scan software options pop up.  I choose ControlCenter 4 as my scanner software, but then the connection is unable to complete, and I get this ControlCenter4 error message:
"MFC=7860DW LAN cannot be found.
-If the device is OFF, turn ON the device.
-Check the I/F cable connection between the device and your computer.
-If the scanner is working with another application, cancel scanning or wait until the scan job finishes and try again.
(CC4-202-00000008)"
 
Needless to say, I have tried reconnecting the USB cables, making sure the Brother wifi scanner was an exception in my Windows firewall, and restarting my computer.  No luck.
 
 
Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Hi Rich,

 

Thank you.  I have uninstalled AVG and installed Avira in its place.

 

I was disappointed to see that the scanners are still not working.

 

I posted this question to the BleepingComputer forum, and I was advised to run sfc /scannow from the Administrator Command Prompt, which I've just completed.  "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

 

I also tried to uninstall and reinstall the Fujitsu ScanSnap software.  I've tried to reinstall by inserting the CD-ROM, but oddly, the CD-ROM doesn't seem to be recognized, and the laptop ejects the CD after some idle spinning.  That is a first and totally unexpected.  I then tried to reinstall by downloading the software from Fujitsu (http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/software/s1500w-setup.html).  The setup.exe seems to work, but at the end of the install, ScanSnap Manager is not installed, even after restarting.  There is no error message - the install seems to have never happened.

 

Am I in for a Windows 7 reinstall?

 

Thank you.

A friend of mine just Googled up a solution for the Brother scanner, which worked for me.

 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-hardware/getting-error-message-the-mfc-7860dw-lan-cannot-be/6348aacc-119f-4842-8c11-04cfe550acf3?auth=1

 

I had uninstalled the Fujitsu software in hopes that I could reinstall the driver and software, and I'm having trouble re-installing it, so I'm going to try that again before resorting to other measures like reinstalling Win 7.  I was unable to reinstall in Safe Mode.

 

I was shocked to see this simple solution worked for the Brother!

 

Thank you so much.

EDIT: Brother multi-function printer/scanner is back up and scanning both wirelessly and via USB. 

 

Fujitsu still a work in progress.  :-)

To avoid confusion with the 2 scanner issues, I'm going to Mark Solved and re-post about the one scanner problem that is still outstanding.  Thank you so much!

Thank you, Rich.  Hope others are able to solve their scanner issues more quickly than I was, though I can't complain.  Everything seems to be in gear now!

Makes you wonder what happened though. You didn't do anything then poof, they no longer work.

Had to be a Windows Update.

 

Glad you found the solutions. Take care.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI