This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Win32/small.ca] [Solved]

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, 2 days ago I installed some windows update and the next day the LAN connection was dead, so I system restored prior and had a notification from windows of a win32/small.ca trojan on my system, at the current time I have no access to the internet on the infected machine due to the virus and the fact I have now unplugged it to the network, the USB drives are disabled now from the virus, as I plugged in a USB full of anti-virus software and installed from it seeing as AVG is stuck in a loop and refusing to scan without updating and cannot update without the internet and since after the system will not read any portable drives. I have tried to scan my machine using various software (I understand to much anti-virus software can cause conflicts) however seeing as all of it will randomly crash (to my belief result of the infection) and will not allow me to detect anything. At the current time I have unplugged it from my network to attempt to contain the threat and I am reluctant to delete the partition on my hard-drive and reinstall the operating system and would like to remove the virus!
Please do the following:

Download the appropriate version for your system of the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.


Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

[*]Select Command Prompt

[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.

[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.

[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.

[*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter

Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
[*]The tool will start to run.

[*]When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.

[*]Place a check next to List Drivers MD5 as well as the default check marks that are already there

[*]Press Scan button.

[*]type exit and reboot the computer normally

[*]FRST will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive, please copy and paste the log in your reply.

Hello buddy, the USB drives are disabled for flash drives - I've tested 5 different flash drives in different ports and none will actually be read by the system. I've used a hard-drive boot tool on disk and deleted all partitions on the drives and re-installed the OS to the machine. But thanks for trying to help anyway.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI