This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

A Million Popups

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

 

I'm having a problem with pop-ups.  I use Firefox (latest version) on a Windows 7 PC.  I have McAfee A/V.  I have run Malware Bytes, & Spybot.  I have Adblock Plus & Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon and all seem to be set the same as my laptop which doesn't get the pop-ups.

 

Can you help please?

 

Thanks

Hello and welcome to What the Tech

Please download the appropriate version of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST.exe) from here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/dl/81/(for 32bit systems)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/dl/82/(for 64bit systems)
save it to your desktop.
Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Double-click to run it.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.
It appears as though it is isolated to the browser(s)

Please do the following:

Reset all the browsers back to default:

Instructions on how to backup your Favourites/Bookmarks and other data can be found below.

Backup Internet Explorer Bookmarks
https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=1419
Backup Firefox Bookmarks
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer
Backup Chrome Bookmarks
http://www.wikihow.com/Export-Bookmarks-from-Chrome

Proceed with the reset once done.

I.E.

Open Internet Explorer, click on the gear icon at the top (far right), then click again on Internet Options.
In the Internet Options dialog box, click on the Advanced tab, then click on the Reset button.
Reset Internet Explorer
In the Reset Internet Explorer settings section, check the Delete personal settings box, then click on Reset Internet Explorer back to its default settings
When Internet Explorer finishes resetting, click Close in the confirmation dialogue box and then click OK.
Close Internet Explorer.

Firefox

At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu and select Troubleshooting Information.
Click the Refresh Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
To continue, click Refresh Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
Firefox will close and be reset. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish

Google Chrome

enter the following into the Chrome address bar:

chrome://settings/personal

β€’ and at the bottom click on "Advanced Settings"
β€’ At the very bottom of the page click on "Reset Browser Settings"

Then if you use the sync feature, check the section for "delete your synced data from your Google Account " at the bottom of this page
http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=185277


NEXT

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
  • Right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as administrator
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message

I believe it has.  I went to a sight that I could hardly view before because of all the pop-ups and now there don't appear to ber any.

 

I just need to get FF back to where it was before with regard to bookmarks, extensions, toolbars, etc.

 

Can I run that program on my other computers to see if it finds anything?

One other thing I noticed that I forgot to mention.  I'm not a gamer but I seem to have Raptr on my computer for some reason and it constantly wants to update and make changes.  Is this something I should allow or should I delete it?  Or is not even related to gaming?

Thanks for this.  Do you think this is something that needs to be updated as necessary or should I just ignore the updates?  I guess there's no harm in updating now that I know it's legitimate.

If it's offering an update, by all means as quite often the updates are to fix issues with the program, but get into the habit of creating restore points prior to any big changes, in case things don't go well, you an always do a system restore.

 

You may be able to find out from the website if it's a critical or an optional update. I usually only go for the critical updates if things are working well without it.

 

So how is the computer(s) running now, are there any outstanding issues.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI