In one memory slot on my motherboard, I currently have a 4GB DDR 3 1333MHZ ram module. The other slot is vacant but if I put a 4GB 1600 Mhz ram module therein, would the two be compatible? At what speed would the computer then run? Or do I need to get another DDR 1333 Mhz ram module to match the existing ram module?
It depends on if you have dual channels, your motherboard if it can support it and if your operating system is 32 bit or 64 bit, if you can combine them you will only be running at the lower 1333Mhz clock speed, rule of thumb is to keep your sticks the same or identical to one another, I would do a google for your motherboard to find out what speed it can support, the ram may be at different voltages to and you would have to do adjustments in BIOS, your 1333 probably runs at 1.5V and the 1600 may run at 1.6v.
Others may have some good ideas for you here as well and if the ram is cheap and you can afford it, just swap out the 1333 and get two of the 1600
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI