This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Dell Inspiron 600m Boot Problems

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

OK So I just bought this Dell Inspiron 600m from Goodwill and I discovered I had to replace the motherboard because it wouldn't recognize the battery. So I did and I put everything back together. The new motherboard has been working great but there is one problem that has been bugging me for the longest time. Sometimes when you go to turn it on you click the on button and the 3 lights (caps lock, scroll lock, etc.) flash rapidly in succession (It might be a POST code but it doesn't seem to be because they flash much quicker then any POST code I've seen on that computer and they don't light up all the way, they sort of flicker like their having a seizure.) It does that for like 10 seconds and then shuts off. To fix it I usually have to shake the computer or tilt it on it's side, pretty much fiddle with it until when I turn it on it boots normally. While it's doing that weird flickering thing I can usually shake it and have it start immediately so it seems like it might be a loose connection or something but I'm not sure. This happened with the first motherboard I ordered so I got a refund and I was sent a new one. Since it happened again with the new one I assumed it wasn't a fauly motherboard since the chances of getting 2 faulty motherboards in a row with the exact same problem are very slim. I am using the other parts from the original computer and the original motherboard never had this problem so I'm stumped. I've completely disassembled it several times and this happens every time I put it back together. Is it a cable or something that isn't in properly??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

 

Thanks,

 

-Benjamin

does it happen when you remove the battery and just use the power lead?

 

does sound like a loose connection where the laptop isn't getting enough power to fully turn on though to me.

 

 

I had to replace the motherboard because it wouldn't recognize the battery.

to be honest that would make me believe there was a problem with the battery especially if it ran on just the power lead, before i'd consider changing the motherboard and the battery may be why your still having the problems now, so you might want to think about getting another battery for it, especially if it turns on and runs ok with just the power lead connected.

 

:popcorn:

The battery and AC adapter can't be the problem because it does the same thing without the battery connected to AC, and vice versa. From a lot of research I have been doing it seems to be that the Ethernet adapter that is soldered to the motherboarded isn't connecting right which makes sense. I am going to try to bridge the connection and see if that helps.

just to clarify it does the same with the battery completely removed and only connected to the ac power lead?

 

 

From a lot of research I have been doing it seems to be that the Ethernet adapter that is soldered to the motherboarded isn't connecting right which makes sense.

 

glad it makes sense to you because it doesn't to me, i don't see why the lan connection would interfere with start up, then again anything is possible and hope that fixes your problem for you. :thumbup:

 

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI