This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

ASUS NOTEBOOK - KEYBOARD BACK LITES

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

HI

 

I have an Asus notebook model Q501LA that I bought last August 2014 - it works wonderfully, have no problems with it's operation except for the keyboard back lights.  The light used to work, I just don't know when it stopped working.  I just noticed it last week and thought I'd look into it.

 

When this notebook boots up, they keyboard light flashes on the entire keyboard, so I know it works.  They just don't come back on.  I know to press FN + F4 to increase lights and FN + F3 to lower the lights.  However, this does not have any effect on bringing the keyboard lights on.

 

I can use the FN key to raise and lower volume, etc.  So the FN key does work.  I looked into the Power Options and can't find where I may have accidently turned something off….

 

Does anyone know how to bring my keyboard lights back on? Sure would appreciate a quick fix!

 

Darlene :wavey:

Hi Darlene,

 

I noticed that you have received no replies to your topic, so I guess that this may be the sort of problem that is not encountered previously on the forums.

 

i have no detailed knowledge of the notebook computer concerned, but hopefully the following thoughts may help you to resolve the issue.

 

1 As its a new computer it may give a clue in the handbook (either paper or electronic) as to how to activate the keyboard backlight.

 

2 The vendor might have suggestions especially if they are fully up to speed with the technical specification of your notebook computer

 

3 Using a "System Restore Point" created well before the issue started is the next step…. this will set your computer's settings back in time to hopefully when the back light was working OK ( as you don't know when the backlight failed, you may have to try multiple System Restore Points until you get the correct one)…see link under 5 below.

 

4 As the operating system on a lot of new computers is Windows 8.1 it would be wise to ensure that the machine is fully updated both with both Windows Updates and also with Asus updates. after a reboot try the system again (you must remember to reboot) otherwise its likely the updates will not work. If you still have no joy then ….

 

5 Try "refreshing" your computer (this should not affect your data, but as always make sure your back up strategy is sound, comprehensive, tested/validated and covers everything that is on your computer that is important to you (especially product serial keys for your applications etc.,) Here's a link that provides details:

 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

 

6 It would also be informative to know if the backlight works Ok when booted into safe mode….. Here's a link:

 

http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81

 

7 An incorrect driver could be responsible so see if Windows has installed any likely suspect, perhaps via Windows update, and if so you could try  uninstalling and rebooting and see if this helps… this could be a trifle time consuming especially if a lot of updates have been installed…!

 

 

If you still have no joy after trying this lot, it may be that there is a hardware fault in part of the keyboard back light system in which case its back to the vendor of the computer to fix it either under any provisions of the warranty, guarantee, service agreement or consumer statutory protection regulations that may be operative in your jurisdiction .

 

Regards

paws

HI

 

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my delima!

 

I'm disappointed that no one has responded with a quick fix…. I honestly don't know when they stopped coming on, could be weeks.  I really don't want to experiment with a restore point…..I know it's under warranty, so I could take it back to Best Buy and have the Geek Squad take a look at it.  They may want to keep it, and I don't want to release my pc to anyone with all my personel info there….of course I guess I could make it pass word protected (like they can't break that code!) and create a Guest with no password….not sure if I want to bother going thru all that.

 

I thought maybe something could be downloaded, tweeked or some battery saving decision that could be reversed….nothing so easy, eh?

 

I will try the safe mode thingy…..forgot about that one….will let cha know if that works!

 

thanks again!

 

dar

I'm baaaaaaaack!

 

Had no idea that booting up in safe mood had changed so much!  But,alas, they keyboard behaves the same.  It flashes upon reboot as it is supposed to, but they never come back on…I tried the FN F4, nothing….

 

I tried!

 

dar

Ok

Bad luck!

I reckon its trying a System Restore Point next… that may be the quick fix that you are looking for..

Regards

paws

before doing the restore thing, give me a little bit of time to do some research, i'm thinking there must be a piece of asus software that should start up but is either disabled or uninstalled that controls the back lights and is linked to the function keys.

 

if i can find out what that software is then we may be able to offer you a quick simple fix without making any major changes to anything.

 

:popcorn:

 

what operating system are you using?

 

go here :- http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Q501LA&p=3&s=522

 

select your operating system then in the files found click on the utilities

and download and install the Version  V1.0.0027 ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities.

it's the 15th one down in the list for me when i selected the windows 8 64bit os option.

 

when i select the win 8.1 64bit option the ATK file is listed on it's own and not under utilities and is the 5th one down in the files found list.

 

you may need to uninstall the old already installed ATK first before installing the new one and with luck that should then get the keyboard lights working again with the function keys.

 

sorry i couldn't find a quick software setting that may have needed changing to get things working again.

happy thanksgiving!

 

I upgraded to windows 10 last night and to my surprise my keyboard back lights now are on!  I can use the fn - F3 and F4  to raise and lower the lights.

 

So my problem must of been with some update with windows 8 - not hardware.

 

Just wanted to share the info incase someone out there has the very same problem!

 

dar

Happy Thanksgiving!!  :banana:

 

I shut my laptop down and left for holiday dinner, came home and booted up..and magic…those lights are still on!! How grand!!! Now I don't need lots of lights on at night to surf!!!!!  I sure hope this helps someone else too!

 

dar

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI