Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Uninstalling Vivaldi Browser

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:24 AM

How does one uninstall the Vivaldi Browser?  On the Publishers website, it is stated that the easiest way is to download Advanced Pro and uninstall with this program.  But Vivaldi is not even included in the list of programs that appear, so what do I do?  I sent an email to Vivaldi for clarification but have had no response from them. 

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:02 AM

Sadly, you didn't tell us anything about your computer, like the version of Windows - if you are even using Windows. I note Vivaldi also runs on Mac OS X and Linux.

Assuming Windows, did you try uninstalling it via Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features?

Edited by Digerati, 14 May 2015 - 09:02 AM.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for the response.  I am running Windows 8.1 and I find it strange that the program cannot be uninstalled the usual way through the Control Panel.  The only way, as stated on Vivaldi's website, is to go into the Windows registry and make changes there but Vivaldi recommends that this should only be done by someone who knows what to do!   Alternatively it is recommended that the Advanced Uninstaller Pro be downloaded and uninstalled with the program.  But when the list of programs that can uninstalled appears, nowhere is Vivaldi found.  Why do Vivaldi choose to be so difficult?  Surely they could have made the program un-installable through Control Panel?

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:00 AM

Take a look here:

https://vivaldi.net/...r/771-uninstall

This may help in explaining what has happened and how to proceed.

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:12 AM

Wow. I am really surprised you have to jump through such hoops to uninstall this browser. Not cool!
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

For sure. That moves it way up in the "Never install" list.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:05 AM

Yep, i think its still in Beta or if just out of beta then at "release candidate" stage or similar.

It may be fine if restricted to a VM or dedicated test machine or even if one is careful, to a "regular machine" with a good disc image (verified) made immediately before installation...

but I would certainly not recommend folks put it on their only machine that is used for their important stuff... without considerable thought and research into the install options and of course the uninstall situation

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#8 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:37 AM

It seems to have made a bit of a splash in Jan and Feb of this year with several "reviews" out there, but none are real reviews in my book - just repeated stating of features.

The website calls the latest release, "Technical Preview 3" for Windows.

I don't believe it is malicious, but I don't see the need for yet another browser.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#9 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:36 AM

Many thanks for all the responses.  As last resort, I located the file and deleted it!  Then I deleted the icons on  my desktop, taskbar and the start menu.  I hope I have got rid of Vivaldi once and for all.  I simply did not like it.  And I do not think it can ever rival Internet Explorer or any of the other popular browsers.  However, from what I read on the internet, there appears to be sizeable users - running into millions!  Perhaps I am missing something.

Edited by MikeSA, 15 May 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#10 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

However, from what I read on the internet, there appears to be sizeable users - running into millions!

Where are you reading that? On Vivaldi's website?

Note there are an estimated 1.4 - 1.6 billion Windows computers out there and millions more Linux and millions more Macs. So a few million here and there is but a drop in the ocean.

NetMarketShare shows, in real time (more or less) Desktop Browser Market Share and Vivaldi is not even listed. It is probably somewhere under "Other".
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#11 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

Thanks.  I recall reading the thread somewhere on the internet which prompted me to download Vivaldi in the first place.  I will search again and send the link to you if I find it.  There are also numerous rave reviews targeted at "power users" so I guess I must be missing something.  Nevertheless, it's no more on my computer and I do not think I will re-install again unless ofcourse future versions are really something to rave about.  That could be a possibility in view of the fact that top ex-Chrome and ex-Opera developers are apparently behind the development of the browser.  Only time will tell.

#12 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

Well, I use and prefer IE, but if you are looking for an alternative browser to try out besides the typical Chrome and Firefox, I recommend you check out Pale Moon.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#13 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:27 PM

WaterFox is another one to look at as well, it's a 64 bit browser.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#14 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

used to quite like opera myself but use firefox as my browser just because it's default (if i remember correctly.) with my linux distro and don't see a reason to change it.

opera :- http://www.opera.com/

:popcorn: