This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Uninstalling Vivaldi Browser

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

How does one uninstall the Vivaldi Browser?  On the Publishers website, it is stated that the easiest way is to download Advanced Pro and uninstall with this program.  But Vivaldi is not even included in the list of programs that appear, so what do I do?  I sent an email to Vivaldi for clarification but have had no response from them. 

Sadly, you didn't tell us anything about your computer, like the version of Windows - if you are even using Windows. I note Vivaldi also runs on Mac OS X and Linux.

Assuming Windows, did you try uninstalling it via Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features?

Thanks for the response.  I am running Windows 8.1 and I find it strange that the program cannot be uninstalled the usual way through the Control Panel.  The only way, as stated on Vivaldi's website, is to go into the Windows registry and make changes there but Vivaldi recommends that this should only be done by someone who knows what to do!   Alternatively it is recommended that the Advanced Uninstaller Pro be downloaded and uninstalled with the program.  But when the list of programs that can uninstalled appears, nowhere is Vivaldi found.  Why do Vivaldi choose to be so difficult?  Surely they could have made the program un-installable through Control Panel?

Yep, i think its still in Beta or if just out of beta then at "release candidate" stage or similar.

It may be fine if restricted to a VM or dedicated test machine or even if one is careful, to a "regular machine" with a good disc image (verified) made immediately before installation…

 

but I would certainly not recommend folks put it on their only machine that is used for their important stuff… without considerable thought and research into the install options and of course the uninstall situation

 

Regards

paws

It seems to have made a bit of a splash in Jan and Feb of this year with several "reviews" out there, but none are real reviews in my book - just repeated stating of features.

The website calls the latest release, "Technical Preview 3" for Windows.

I don't believe it is malicious, but I don't see the need for yet another browser.

Many thanks for all the responses.  As last resort, I located the file and deleted it!  Then I deleted the icons on  my desktop, taskbar and the start menu.  I hope I have got rid of Vivaldi once and for all.  I simply did not like it.  And I do not think it can ever rival Internet Explorer or any of the other popular browsers.  However, from what I read on the internet, there appears to be sizeable users - running into millions!  Perhaps I am missing something.

However, from what I read on the internet, there appears to be sizeable users - running into millions!

Where are you reading that? On Vivaldi's website?
 
Note there are an estimated 1.4 - 1.6 billion Windows computers out there and millions more Linux and millions more Macs. So a few million here and there is but a drop in the ocean.
 
NetMarketShare shows, in real time (more or less) Desktop Browser Market Share and Vivaldi is not even listed. It is probably somewhere under "Other".

Thanks.  I recall reading the thread somewhere on the internet which prompted me to download Vivaldi in the first place.  I will search again and send the link to you if I find it.  There are also numerous rave reviews targeted at "power users" so I guess I must be missing something.  Nevertheless, it's no more on my computer and I do not think I will re-install again unless ofcourse future versions are really something to rave about.  That could be a possibility in view of the fact that top ex-Chrome and ex-Opera developers are apparently behind the development of the browser.  Only time will tell.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI