This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

window washer

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have window washer by webroot on my PC but is giving me some grief so want to uninstall. I cant find an uninstall anywhere including where the programme is located or in the add/remove programmes. How would I remove this? thanks
Hi Scudo,

From your post, it appears that you've already followed the Webroot recommendation:

To uninstall Window Washer, please follow the steps below.

1. Make sure Window Washer is completely shut down. To do this, locate the Window Washer icon at the bottom right hand corner of the screen (by the clock). Right-click on the Window Washer icon to bring up the menu. Then, left-click on Shut Down Washer.

2. Click Start>Control Panel.

3. Select Add/Remove Programs.

4. An alphabetical list populates.

5. Click Window Washer.

6. Click Change/Remove and follow the prompts.

When the owner/user wishes to uninstall an application utility, and it does not appear in Add/Remove…. It is often best to install it again, right over top of the present installation. If you are alerted that Windows Washer is already installed and asked "Do you wish to continue?" answer "Yes". After doing the above, Windows Washer should appear in Control Panel - Add/Remove Keep us posted with your progress.
I checked what I thought was a copy on floppy disc of the programme but for some reason this doesnt run so cant reinstall over the top to get the uninstall part. This problem seemed to start when I had to reformatt my hardrive a few weeks back and had probs with that and had to do it 3 times to get it stable, the PC works fine now exept for window washer, and as I now use ccleaner instead I am quite happy to get rid of washer (if I can). I had at the time backed up washer on an external hardrive and had reinstalled from there but have since deleted that copy. So as it stands at the moment I done know how to uninstall the programme. Any ideas. thanks
You could go out to Webroot and download the trial version of Window Washer, then try to uninstall it. Is Window Washer listed under the Start Menu - sometimes there is an uninstall option there, or in the actual folder on the hard drive the program is installed in. Or, since you already use one of my favorite utilities, CCleaner, see if it can help. Go to Tools and see if Window Washer is listed in the Programs to Remove list under the Uninstall tab. If there, give it a try.
I tried downloading the `trial` version but when I try to run it it alerts to me to a previous earlier uncompatible version installed and to uninstall before running the new trial version, I tried changing the name of the `old` version in programme files but the `new` version still wont run past `choose a language`, so that didnt work Washer is not listed under the windows start menu nor is there an uninstall in the file folder, I think this got messed up with my reformatts of the hardrive. I tried ccleaner it doesnt appear on the `uninstall` section but does appear in ccleaner startup menu but can see no way of uninstalling from there, I think it just takes it off the start list.
I downloaded and run windows install clean up but window washer does not appear on it, I assume this is because (I think) I re installed it from my external backup when I reformatted. So still no further forward regards

I downloaded and run windows install clean up but window washer does not appear on it, I assume this is because (I think) I re installed it from my external backup when I reformatted.

So still no further forward

regards


"Copying" from backup is different from "Installing" in a way similar to "Deleting" is different from Un-installing.
I am not implying that you did anything "wrong", but just stating that I don't know.
As I read your information, it appears that "not all" important Windows Washer files got "Installed".
And fresh attempts to Install are detecting portions of Windows Washer already existing in the System.
As a result your present situation is that you are "stuck" with Windows Washer existing on your machine, with no way presently available to remove it.

Please correct me, if I am misunderstanding your situation.
___________________

Possibilities:

Do you have Restore Points earlier than when you first installed Windows Washer, and does it make sense to you to Restore your Operating System back to such a point?
__________-

Are you considering various "slash and burn" type procedures to attempt to "manually" remove Windows Washer?
This would include first dealing with the Files, and second dealing with the Registry.
(It would be quite complex and involved, and any actions in the Registry have their own Risk)
___________

What are you wanting to do at this point?

Please correct me, if I am misunderstanding your situation.

Your understanding is correct, I also think this is where the problem stems from.

I tried system restore but that didnt help as I had reinstalled most of my programmes including window washer after my reformatt and then switched off/on system restore and set a new restore date/point where I thought it was stable. It was a some point after that that I realised I had washer problems as in cant uninstall.

Yes I would like to get washer completely off the PC if possible.

Scudo
OK. I'll put my "thinking cap" on and give this some consideration. In the meantime, will you please cruise around in your Windows Explorer to locate places where Webroot and/or Windows Washer has inclusions. Possibilities: C:\Program Files C:\Program Files\Common C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Program Files C:\Windows\Program Installations C:\Windows\Temp C:\Windows\Prefetch We won't prowl around in the Registry, until we address the File Structure first. Jot down your findings for future reference. Best Regards

does appear in ccleaner startup menu


First, if it is listed in CCleaner you can use that information to note the file location. You can also use that CCleaner screen to delete the entry to keep the program from loading at startup and eating resources. At least then, it will not interfere with Windows. At that point you should be able to clean up the HD based on the findings from Doug's post.
Hi scudo,

I recommend you give Webroot a call:

If you need additional assistance please call our toll free number: [removed] Monday-Friday 7am to 6pm MST. Or you may create a support ticket by visiting our website at www.webroot.com.


They may or may not have an uninstall utility available.
________________________________________

If you get nothing from Webroot, we'd be faced with venturing into rather unorthodox removal procedures that are aggressive and open to risk of damage to your Windows Operating System.

It would be "doable", but we couldn't guarantee "risk free" results.
You "could" end up with needing to reinstall your Windows Operating System, if the "aggressive" steps went afoul.
______________

Let us know what you find from Webroot, please.
Then, if necessary, let us know if you want to take additional steps.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI