This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Removing Program(s)

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I've been looking for video editing software and downloading any and all the free trial programs I could find. Now I can't remove one of them ( for the record it's one of Ulead's products). It didn't come with an uninstall so all I have is the entry in Add/Remove. Select it and try remove it goes to the Ulead install window which has an option to remove all but that does nothing. I can't find any help on the Ulead site and I'm going around in circles. What am I missing? Bob
There is no uninstaller in the Ulead folder. The Ulead site (under FAQ) recommends using the windows add/remove function. The entry for Ulead is there but when I click on remove it opens the Ulead install window which has three options, install all, selectively install and remove all components. When I click on the remove option it goes back to the windows add/remove frame and does nothing. To get any real help from Ulead it appears like you must be a registered owner of their software, which I'm not because I've only downloaded the free trial. I'm missing something and right now I can't figure out what it may be. Tired of going in circles.
hmm.. well.. have you tried to re-install it and then uninstall it? You might also check to see if the registry entries are still there. You might also look at FreshUI. Its a tweaking tool but it also has as one of its tweaks to take programs off the add/remove list. But first check the registry and see if the entries are still there.
I've tried to re-install but when the installer gets to the point where it enters the location for the files to be installed it says there's already an entry there select another location. I don't know about the registry entries that's not an area I'm familiar with and don't know exactly how to find things. I don't want to take any more of your time on my foolish debacle, I've found a phone number for Ulead and after the holiday I'll see if I can get an answer there. For what it's worth I wouldn't use Ulead software now if they gave it away!
I hear ya.. and your not taking up my time. I would much rather be here helping someone with a problem than I had any were else. If your not familiar with the registry then its probably a good idea not to do to much, if anything, to it. You can click on start/run/ type regedit and then in the menu on the left you would expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER then expand software and find any Ulead entries. Then go to the next one directly under CURRENT_USER to LOCAL_MACHINE, expand it then expand software again to find them.
I can see registry entries for Ulead but don't really know what I'm looking at. If it would help I can try to figure out a way to get that info copied and posted here. I do thank you for taking the time to put up with my ignorance.
Tried contacting Ulead on Friday and got a recorded message saying everyone was off for the day for training….some support!! I finally used Norton's Cleansweep, disabling the backup option, and removed everything that had the Ulead name. I then ran Registry Mechanic and cleaned out all the hits it found. So far I've seen no ill effects from the above steps but only time will tell. Thanks again for the help. :angry: