This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

WD My Cloud | Windows Folder Icons

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,
 
I have recently bought a WD My Cloud NAS/Network HDD - please see HERE

I access the content stored on the drive via Windows Explorer/Network Folder however the folders are not fully customisable.
Specifically I am unable to change the icon of a folder due to the absense of the 'change icon' option on the customise tab.

 
📎No Icon.png

I tend to navigate visually to find what I am looking for, so the use of folder icons is extremely helpful. Is there any work-around to this please?

Thanks
I think this is normal. When I look at my My Pictures folder on my drives, I see the exact same thing as seen in your image above.

However, when I open up my My Pictures folder, I can change the icons to the sub-folders within.

A possible work around is to place a picture in the "root" of the folder in question.  Name this picture "folder.gif" or "folder.jpg".  Then if you have view set in explorer to anything but Detail, List, or Small Icons…you should be able to see the picture.

That is correct.  I guess I described it poorly.  That's what I meant be you being able to see the picture.  As far as I know, the only way to change a protected icon… is to change them globally, and I don't think that is what you want to do.

Not at all Tom, you were crystal clear in what you said; I'm just being very pernickety.

 

I read somewhere that the drive runs on Linux and that it was possible to gain root access. With this in mind I was thinking the permissions &/or ownership of the folders could be changed so as to make the 'change icon' option apparent.

 

Am I in the clouds with this suggestion?

You're way outside my realm of even pretending to understand.  I'm not really able to wrap my head around the drive running linux inside windows.

I'm not really able to wrap my head around the drive running linux inside windows.

 

Pretty sure the drive does not run Linux. But the enclosure might as a small, self-contained, single purpose server with an attached drive - similar to how many home routers run with Linux.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI