This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

System Restore Error 0x80070005 [Closed]

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

Long story, I'm afraid but please bear with me. I installed software whose license key didn't work and being Easter I wasn't going to get anywhere fast, so I tried to do a system restore to bring the previous version of the software back into the pc. On doing so, I got the above error where windows said it was because an antivirus was stopping the pc from rebooting into windows again.
In frustration, I took my antivirus (bitdefender free)out, same thing happened again, with same result. I tried to reinstall my antivirus, no go. I installed avg free instead. I went looking on the web for the error and found that it was malware was causing it. I have run MS Safety Scanner (took 10 hours to complete), malwarebytes premium, superantispyware and spyware S&D. All return a clean scans.

I also found where it can be a related to administrative issues on a pc.

I saw an MS fix for windows xp admin issues, but not one for windows 7. Has anyone any other ideas as to what would be causing this, if all these scans are coming back clean?

I planned to change to a new computer over the weekend and take my setting with me using MS easy transfer, but that would be out the window if there is malware lurking somewhere unforeseen and I take it with me.

Other than that, I have a lot of work ahead of me.

By the way, because of this issue, the software license key is now fixed and working okay, but it brought this issue to light.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any help needed.
hedley

:welcome:

 

Lets scan this computer and see whats going on and see if there is any malware underfoot

 

 

 
[external image: 1QYkxTZ.jpg] Please download aswMBR to your desktop.
 
  • Double click the aswMBR icon to run it.
  • Click the Scan button to start scan.
  • If you are asked to update the Avast Virus database please allow it to do so.
  • When it finishes, press the save log button, save the logfile to your desktop and post its contents in your next reply.
  •  
    I just want to see the report….Please Do Not Fix Anything
     
    ============================================================================
     
     
     
     
    Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.
     
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
     
    How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows operating system
    A simple way to check your system: Start –> Computer (right click) –> Properties
     
    [external image: FRST_zps5d956a1a.jpg]
     
     
    • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Please make sure All Users is checked
    • Just keep the defaults as in the picture checkmarked
    • Press Scan button.
    • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
    • Please copy and paste log back here.
    • The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.
    • Ask AI

      AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

      Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI