April 2006, the CN is OKC147 46633 648 1LLU Rev A01 It is a Dell
My pc is a Dell XPS 2-15-11.
The reading about DVI and DVI -D etc. can be confusing. I won't get that much more clarity but I wondered if it is feasible. Of course the price would be a factor. I really do not know what to buy with all the suffixes.
Can I go from this VGA(I assume) analogue to a digital connection with these two devices?
really no idea what your wanting to know here peter, and no idea what dell monitor you have or pc either.
can you find them and post a link to each please, so i can check it's specifications.
now to the question of dvi and analogue or digital etc.
usually on a pc if it only has dvi outputs then at least 1 of them will be dvi-i which means it can output both an analogue signal as well as a digital signal,
if the monitor you connect it to has a vga input then the signal output from the dvi connection would be analogue and of course you'd need the correct cable/adapter to connect them.
if the monitor your connecting it to has a dvi input the the signal coming out of the dvi port on your pc would be digital again you'd need the correct cable to connect both devices.
i assume your thinking of buying a new monitor yes? and your pc has dvi connections yes?
the dvi connection on a pc is capable of being connected to monitors with vga inputs, dvi inputs, hdmi inputs, not sure about displayport but think that may also be possible depending on graphics card and dvi type on the pc.
so to recap monitors have 4 main video input connection types, vga, dvi, hdmi, and displayport. first 3 can be connected to the dvi output from a pc no problems usually the 4th displayport probably but am not 100% sure about.
hope that answers your question even if i wasn't to sure exactly what you were asking but if it doesn't post the info asked for and ask some more questions about what you want are trying to do and i'll do my best to answer them with the extra info you provide.
I tried to give you all the information I could about the monitor as I have no literature with it. My daughter gave it to me years ago to replace the big one that looked like an old tv ?CRT? I could only read what was on this device.
As to the pc, It is a dell XPS 8300. I have not disconnected the connectors to count pins etc. which is probably what I have to do to know what I have at each end.
I was reading that clarity is improved with digital connections providing you have the hardware, I do not know if I do or not.
In surfing, I saw a cable that enabled a digital signal between the pc and monitor.
Then again, I read another article that said if your screen is clear and the hardware is old that the digital connector is not worth getting to go to digital.
Given the age of my pc and monitor, I am likely better off leaving it as it is.
I do appreciate all you wrote and thank you for that.
i could put 2 exact same monitors in front of you except one would be using an analogue signal and the other a digital signal and i'd bet money you couldn't tell me which was which peter, so if your happy with the crt monitor then stick with it is my advice until it breaks down, then you will need a new monitor anyway so buy one then and because crts are more or less obsolete now your choices are probably going to be digital lcd's only.
the cable you saw probably converted an analogue signal into a digital signal, and you have absolutely no need for such a cable, it wouldn't improve anything for you and your pc is capable of outputting both a digital signal or an analogue signal depending on what the monitor needs. your crt needs an analogue signal to work, feeding it a digital signal would mean you saw nothing on the screen because it wouldn't be able to understand the signal, it would be like talking french to you when you only understand english.
so the cable makes absolutely no difference whatsoever between if you need an analogue or digital signal, what makes the difference is what type of signal both devices have in common before they can communicate with each other.
so if one is analogue only and the other is digital only then in that case, yes before you can get a picture to display you would need a cable that converts the analogue signal into a digital signal.
you have no worries about that because your pc can output both types of signal so can be used with more or less any type of monitor.
Thank you for the link regarding my pc's system - I have saved it as a favorite after reading about it. I have the skinny monitor since my daughter gave it to me a couple of years ago. Prior to that I had a big one like a TV - crt I guess.
One article, said exactly what you did about not being able to notice the difference. I saved enough $ for lunch out with the Mrs.
Again, thank you sir.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI