This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Wife's Computer Has Numerous Event Errors, Periodically Reboots &#

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD A8-3820 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 18 Model 1 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 5844 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6550D, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 940455 MB, Free - 854668 MB; H: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 177587 MB; I: Total - 7 MB, Free - 0 MB;
Motherboard: Gateway, SX2370
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

This is my wife's computer. She plays online games and downloads others so I'm not sure of exactly all the software she has installed. About a month or so ago, she let me know that she has been having a problem where she gets this message at random intervals: "Windows has encountered a critical error and will automatically close in one minute. Please save your work." Then the system reboots. At the same time, she starting having problems getting items to print out from our HP Photosmart C410A printer.

 

I ran scans with our Norton Internet Security, Malwarebytes and did an Eset online scan, all of which came back negative. I discovered that there was a driver update for the printer. However, the install failed, stating that Windows Firewall must be running. I disabled all of NIS and tried to activate the firewall and got the following error message: "Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error Code 0x800706d9". HP suggested uninstalling their driver remnants using their unistall utility, which I did but there still appears to be parts of HP programs and the printer is the only HP device connected to this system. Hp also suggested that I uninstall NIS which I did, even using the Norton uninstaller tool and then try to install but to no avail. In fact, I got not only the "Windows has encountered a critical problem" message but this as well, "Error 1722 RPC Server is unavailable." I've even tried installing from the Windows Safe mode without success.

 

At a friend's suggestion, I posted my situation on another tech site. After considerable testing, they eliminated any viruses, rootkits or malware as being the source of the problem. They also found no hardware issues.  However, the only suggestion they could offer as to a fix is that there might be a BIOS issue. According to Gateway, which has been no help at all, there are two updates available for this system but they cautioned me that I might have to completely reinstall Windows 7 again. Other than that, the other site could offer me no further help. Before I go to that extreme, hopefully you might have some answers that work.

 

In checking the Event Logs, I found the following errors and warnings repeatedly at random intervals but all following each other:

 

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-HAL
Date:          2/2/2015 6:58:01 AM
Event ID:      12
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      (1)
User:          N/A
Computer:      Johnny5
Description:
The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition.  Please check for updated firmware for your system.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          2/2/2015 5:36:27 AM
Event ID:      7034
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Johnny5
Description:
The Windows Firewall service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 3 time(s).

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          2/2/2015 5:36:27 AM
Event ID:      7034
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Johnny5
Description:
The Diagnostic Policy Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 3 time(s).

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          2/2/2015 5:36:27 AM
Event ID:      7034
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Johnny5
Description:
The Base Filtering Engine service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 3 time(s).

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          2/2/2015 5:36:22 AM
Event ID:      7032
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Johnny5
Description:
The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Base Filtering Engine service, but this action failed with the following error:
An instance of the service is already running.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          2/2/2015 5:36:22 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Johnny5
Description:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_MpsSvc, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc3c1
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521eaf24
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000002b20d
Faulting process id: 0x1098
Faulting application start time: 0x01d03eed074c1d96
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 794ae32f-aae0-11e4-bcc8-f80f4138c1b9

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          2/2/2015 5:31:17 AM
Event ID:      7023
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Johnny5
Description:
The HP Network Devices Support service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client/Admin
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client
Date:          2/2/2015 5:30:47 AM
Event ID:      1001
Task Category: Address Configuration State Event
Level:         Error
Keywords:      
User:          LOCAL SERVICE
Computer:      Johnny5
Description:
Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x74DE2BE23268.  The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client
Date:          2/2/2015 9:33:30 AM
Event ID:      1014
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      
User:          NETWORK SERVICE
Computer:      Johnny5
Description:
Name resolution for the name wpad.hsd1.ca.comcast.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.
 

Any help or direction would be most appreciated as I am tired of getting the "evil eye" from my wife over this matter.

 

Thank you.

Hi1excop36,

sorry to hear about the issues with your wife's computer.

 

So that we can get a handle on what has gone on before please post a link to the other forum where you were receiving assistance.

 

Were you asked to run either chkdsk with the r switch or sfc with the scannow switch?

Post back and we will do our best to assist.

Regards

paws

Paws;

 

First thank you for your assistance. As to chkdsk and sfc tests, that is affirmative on both counts. Here is the link to the other forum I posted in:

 

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/1141759-wifes-computer-periodically-reboots-cant.html

 

If I've missed anything please let me know. When it comes to computer knowledge, my ego is pretty small as far as being wrong and learning new things.

 

My promises of getting my wife her computer and printer working are falling on increasingly dubious ears and the evil eye is getting eviler.

 

Many thanks for anything you can do.

 

Gerry

I know you're busy but can anyone assist me?

 

FWIW, I've started having similar issues with the HP print driver on my laptop. In checking around, I'm finding I'm not the only one and that HP may be turning out buggy software.

Hi 1excop36,

 

I have been taking a look at the logs that you submitted in your topic over at TSG and it's not a happy situation that you find yourself in… :( (however I guess you don't need me to tell you that!)

 

You seem to be coming under pressure from " family" for a quick fix….. however in this particular situation I don't think its likely that you will find a quick fix to the multiple issues that this machine has.

 

It might be wise to advise the family members of this and to point out the options that are available to them.

 

You have already been in discussion with your trusted adviser, askey127, over at TSG on the following:

 

1 Cutting your losses and simply buying a new computer for your family

 

2 Updating (flashing) the BIOS on your machine

 

3 Restoring your machine to its Factory state" or otherwise formatting and reinstalling the operating system

 

The above have not found particular favour with you, as a way forward, but nevertheless are still well worth your consideration.

 

There are some additional steps that can be recommended and I will set out these for your consideration, however please be advised that none of them are the quick fix that your family may be seeking.

 

I am ruling out for the time being taking the machine into your local competent computer technician and asking them to give you an estimate/quotation of the cost of fixing it….. but it is still a valid option for your consideration, and if you are unsure of the steps and procedure required, might be a sound idea.

 

If this machine came into my workshop for repair then this is the sort of thought process that would immediately spring to mind…

 

1 A quick fix is not likely to be an option

 

2 Fixing it is likely to cost a considerable amount of time and therefore money (more than the cost of buying a new computer)

 

3 The repairs and attention you have already undertaken have so far taken up over a month of your time

 

4 If your family had made a good disc image at a time when the machine was working well this might be worth trying, however if its a hardware issue then it would not help.

 

5 To establish if the hardware Motherboard, CPU, RAM CD/DVD drive, PSU etc is working Ok then giving the machine a thorough workout when booted into a live distro  of Linux (Linux Puppy is good and not much more than 100Mb as a download or Ubuntu at a great deal more (needing a DVD) would be a good step to take. You would need to burn the .iso to a CD or DVD as an image (a simple copy won't work)

 

Further information here for Puppy:

 

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

 

Puppy will run happily in RAM and won't write anything to your hard drive (unless you ask it to) you should be able to connect to the Internet, download a favourite browser etc provided you are connected via Ethernet cable to your router…( wireless connections can be a tad problematic so for testing purposes are best avoided.)  If you are not used to Linux then remember just one click to open things, no double clicking… Linux is a different operating system from Windows so it may take a short while for you or your family to get used to it…but its best to take your time and not rush things.

 

If Puppy runs satisfactorily without errors then it's indicating that your hardware is OK (apart from your hard drive which Puppy doesn't even actually need to have installed but as you have performed some tests, with satisfactory results we can probably move on for the time being….) 

 

We will therefore need to focus on your BIOS your Windows operating system and software.

 

However:

 

If Puppy wont run then either you are doing it wrong, your BIOS needs flashing, or your hardware is a likely suspect.

 

If Puppy runs OK, then flash the BIOS, but don't forget to use a UPS for the flashing if this is a desktop computer, if its a laptop then make sure the battery is fully charged and the power supply is connected and working (a power outage whilst flashing the BIOS can often turn the computer into an expensive paperweight (wreck it beyond economic repair, as can flashing it incorrectly so do be careful!) you can then format your hard drive and reinstall your operating system in whatever way you like as long as you follow good workshop practice. As you know this can be a time consuming process so make sure that you have all your Drivers backed up alongside anything else that is important to you or your family and that you have several copies one of which (at least) must be a validated copy kept safe offsite on removable media. You will then have the time consuming job of reinstalling all your applications and updating with the hundred or more updates that will be necessary….

 

Post back and let us know how you get on.

Regards

paws

Paws;

 

Thank you very much for the advice. I've pretty much decided to do a reformat and a clean reinstallation of Windows 7 rather than keep banging my head against the wall trying to sort it all out. As I've always had her data backed up on a regular basis, that won't be an issue. Having just put a new HD in my laptop, the process is pretty fresh in my mind. It's time consuming, as you say, but there are worse things that could have happened. My wife's going on a trip at the start of March, so if it can limp along until then, that's when I'll delve into the reinstall.

,

The one issue I've got to find a work around are the HP print drivers. They've now started causing similar problems on my laptop too. HP's suggested fix was to install their whole software package which doen't allow you to opt out of any of the programs and intsall a lot of unwanted junkware. It also didn't resolve the issue. I've found I'm no alone in this situation. I really don't want to have to get a new printer when the C410A is working just fine except for the software.

 

I had hoped it would be a simple fix, as has often been the case in the past but no joy this time.

 

 

 

Again thanks to all who tried to assist.

 

Gerry

The one issue I've got to find a work around are the HP print drivers. They've now started causing similar problems on my laptop too. HP's suggested fix was to install their whole software package which doen't allow you to opt out of any of the programs and intsall a lot of unwanted junkware. It also didn't resolve the issue. I've found I'm no alone in this situation. I really don't want to have to get a new printer when the C410A is working just fine except for the software.

 

 

There's no doubt HP's software is bloated and problematic.  However, on a fresh load I have never had a problem with HP software.  You will always want to download the "Full" software installation.  This will have scan to PC and other features.  It is not true that you can't choose what to install.  Yes, you can.  You have to check every clickable option you can find.  The options are there, they are just in unusual places.  But, I have yet to find HP software that didn't allow me to disable half of the installation that is nothing but junk - as you have said.  I agree that most people would be clueless and have no idea how to disable those extra components - but it absolutely can be done.

 

If you are going to reload fresh, there should be no reason a new installation of the HP "full" software package won't work as expected.

@appleoddity,

 

It appears to me that 1excop36 is having HP driver issues on two separate computers.  Will reformatting and installing fresh drivers on his wife's laptop fix the issue on his laptop?  Could it be that something "scrambled" something in the printer so that whatever system tries to send it a print job gets errors?  If so, shouldn't restarting the printer clear that issue?  I find it interesting that the problem occurs on two different systems and occured after updates.  Sounds like something is "eating" the drivers to me.

I don't think software problems on one computer would cause problems for another. This is apparently a network printer. Besides having functioning software the printer also needs to have a reliable and properly configured network connection. This is something that is very difficult to achieve during a typical out of box installation. The most common problem being a changing IP address.

But, as long as the printer is connected successfully to the network a clean install of the existing system should work fine. Until something like the IP address changes again and that which is supposed to be handled gracefully fails
In typical HP fashion. :) This is unfortunately not uncommon at all and some of the newer HP software has the option under the programs listing to update the IP address. Or, the existing printer can be manually deleted and the option to add a new device in the programs listing can reinstall it. All without uninstalling the software.

That is about as clear as mud I'm sure but these options are found under Start -> Programs -> HP. A network status print out using the printer's front control panel can confirm a successful network connection and current IP address.

Iapologize for not getting back sooner to everyone but have been fighting off a very nasty human virus. Thinking straight about computers are the last thing on my mind. My plan, when I'm over this crud, is to try and uninstall all the HP software and any Paragon remnants, make sure the network is working right, though it appears to be working fine and then try the HP software again.

 

In the meantine, tea, toast, soup and a pillow over my head is all I want.

 

Thanks to all who took the time to offer advice.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI