Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 92790 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

2002 XP Optima Desktop Computer [Closed]

Clean Install or leave as is?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stoney Bloke

Stoney Bloke

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:05 PM

Hi eveyone. I'm new here. Am experiencing regular Blue Screen error shutdowns, with error code differing each time. That's OK, I can live with that. I just press and hold the 'Kill Switch' till computer shuts down, wait a few minutes before restarting and my system which then runs non-stop for hours and hours, without a glitch, but on occasions like yesterday and today, it's been shutting itself off and restarting, displaying the welcome screen asking for my password. If left in that mode for an extended time, system will shutoff and restart itself again as I observed???

A week or so ago, got a flickering RED screen, unable to read anything on the screen, pressed and held the 'Kill Switch' till system shutdown, waited a few minutes before doing a restart, haven't encountered the RED screen since, but still the occasional Blue Screen, every few days.

I'm unable at present to do a 'chkdsk' scan and the system will only do the first 2 phases of "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors", giving me the message:- "Windows was unable to complete disk check." Putting a tick in the "Automatically fix file system errors", does not commence with restart, no matter how many times I try.

Yes I know my hard drive is slowly dying, it has been now for over at least a year now, or maybe even longer, when I first started getting the Blue Screen stop error messages. Any hints on maybe me trying a clean install and if so, how should I go about it???

Happy New Year to to all and might I hear back from someone.

Cheers from Rok, Brisbane, Australia.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

Hi Stoney Bloke,

Yes I know my hard drive is slowly dying, it has been now for over at least a year now, or maybe even longer, when I first started getting the Blue Screen stop error messages. Any hints on maybe me trying a clean install and if so, how should I go about it???

Yes it does sound like your hard drive is on the way out. A clean install of the OS onto a drive that is failing is probably not the solution.

If you like we can run a few malware scans and see if anything shows up, but like you have surmised your hard drive is probably the cause. Especially given the fact that you are unable to complete chkdsk.

OCD

Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom
Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.

#3 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:06 PM

Due to inactivity this topic will be closed.
If you need help please start a new thread.

New members follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html and start a new topic
OCD

Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom
Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.