This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

2002 XP Optima Desktop Computer [Closed]

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi eveyone. I'm new here. Am experiencing regular Blue Screen error shutdowns, with error code differing each time. That's OK, I can live with that. I just press and hold the 'Kill Switch' till computer shuts down, wait a few minutes before restarting and my system which then runs non-stop for hours and hours, without a glitch, but on occasions like yesterday and today, it's been shutting itself off and restarting, displaying the welcome screen asking for my password. If left in that mode for an extended time, system will shutoff and restart itself again as I observed???

 

A week or so ago, got a flickering RED screen, unable to read anything on the screen, pressed and held the 'Kill Switch' till system shutdown, waited a few minutes before doing a restart, haven't encountered the RED screen since, but still the occasional Blue Screen, every few days.

 

I'm unable at present to do a 'chkdsk' scan and the system will only do the first 2 phases of "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors", giving me the message:- "Windows was unable to complete disk check." Putting a tick in the "Automatically fix file system errors", does not commence with restart, no matter how many times I try.

 

Yes I know my hard drive is slowly dying, it has been now for over at least a year now, or maybe even longer, when I first started getting the Blue Screen stop error messages. Any hints on maybe me trying a clean install and if so, how should I go about it???

 

Happy New Year to to all and might I hear back from someone.

 

Cheers from Rok, Brisbane, Australia.

 

 

Hi Stoney Bloke,

 

Yes I know my hard drive is slowly dying, it has been now for over at least a year now, or maybe even longer, when I first started getting the Blue Screen stop error messages. Any hints on maybe me trying a clean install and if so, how should I go about it???

 

 

Yes it does sound like your hard drive is on the way out. A clean install of the OS onto a drive that is failing is probably not the solution.

 

If you like we can run a few malware scans and see if anything shows up, but like you have surmised your hard drive is probably the cause. Especially given the fact that you are unable to complete chkdsk.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI