Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Installing IE8 Issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 devonrexcatz

devonrexcatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:13 AM

Hi

I have been redirected to here from another forum so that you may help me solve an IE8 installation issue. It just won't install. Thank you

Belinda

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name RACHAEL-PC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~2500 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0606, 11/03/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Australia
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name RACHAEL-PC\Rachael
Time Zone E. Australia Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 89.77 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 5.34 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Link to malware thread: http://forums.whatth...howtopic=128896

Edited by Ztruker, 06 November 2014 - 02:15 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:41 AM

Hi Belinda,

I took a quick look at your logs where Satchfan was helping you clean things up and also your daughter's computer specification....

May I ask please if this computer is used only whilst totally isolated from other machines. that is to say with no use at all of Internet, (email etc) and removable media for example USB memory sticks, DVD's etc?

If so, despite the Windows XP operating system being unsupported by Microsoft, with great care its possible to continue using it, without the risk of immediate infection.

However it is not safe to use on the Internet anymore, (without taking extraordinary precautions) or to use it for email etc, ..........and USB memory keys and the like should now never be used without taking extra ordinary precautions.....

Some folks take the view that if they have an active anti virus and firewall to protect them then that's all they need......... nothing could be much further from the truth!

Vulnerabilities in old software and unsupported Operating Systems like for example Win XP, make this computer a "sitting target" for the bad people,  the difficulties you have experienced in updating Internet Explorer from v 6 to V8 have actually done your daughter a favour, by allowing the vulnerabilities to be highlighted so she can take the opportunity now of immediately isolating the machine from sources of infection (isolate it from the internet, other computers, memory sticks and the like.... ) whilst the computer is still clean.

If she wants to continue using the computer on the Internet for example, she would be well advised to install a modern and robust supported operating system like (if possible) Windows 7 or Linux ( Win 7 has to be paid for  (unless you have a copy already pre purchased) but is very inexpensive to buy..whilst Linux comes at the low cost of Free! ( but its different from Windows so may take a short while to become familiar with it)

If she decided to stick with Windows and consider installing Windows 7 then it would be wise to run the Microsoft compatibility tool to see if her machine is up to it.

She can (hopefully) download it from here:

http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=20

Finally Internet Explorer 8 whilst being more secure than Internet Explorer 6 is still highly vulnerable, unsupported and its continued use leaves an open "gateway" into your daughter's computer for malicious code, viruses, worms Trojan Horses and other horrors!

Post back if you or she, needs any clarification.

Regards

paws

• ThreadMutex likes this
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 ThreadMutex

ThreadMutex

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

Paws explained stuff very correctly. :)

I recommend Ubuntu, but as he said, it might take a while to get used to. If you're not gaming, I recommend Linux instead of  Windows.

Note : As for my Application missing two details, I am very sorry. I posted the same thread three times just to receive my responses were too big.

#4 devonrexcatz

devonrexcatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

Sorry you have not had any response from me till now...I will read the information provided and get back to you. Thank you!

Belinda

#5 devonrexcatz

devonrexcatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:02 PM

Hi 

We have decided to try Linux before we purchase Windows 7. Could you please advise me which edition of Linux I should download. Also, can Linux be used alongside XP so my daughter can try it out first? 

Thanks

Belinda

#6 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:11 AM

my recommendation because i use open suse :- https://www.opensuse.org/en/

but mint is very popular :- http://www.linuxmint.com/

and probably the most used is ubuntu :- http://www.ubuntu.com/

you can try all 3 and see which one you like the best and there are lots of others out there if you don't like any of them too.

all linux operating systems can be used along side all versions of windows including xp.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 14 November 2014 - 05:20 AM.

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:06 AM

Hi Belinda,

Just to add to terry's wise words, for a short trial its often worthwhile to run a distro of Linux in RAM ( without actually installing it to your hard drive)

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#8 devonrexcatz

devonrexcatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

Thanyou. I'll get onto it

#9 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:15 PM

the live version (runs in ram without being installed) of suse is live kde, you need to click on the "Click here to display these alternative versions." to see the extra options from the download page here. :- http://software.opensuse.org/132/en#

think both mint and ubuntu default downloads are already live versions which can be run without actually installing to the hard drive or installed to the hard drive, whereas with suse you get a choice of downloads depending on your needs.

the dvd for full install to hard drive is the default download which can't run live in ram but does come with more software to start with and the option to upgrade an older installed version of suse.

so you need to choose to download live kde (or live gnome.) to run live and then if you like it you can also use it to do a full install to the hard drive without needing to download the dvd version.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 14 November 2014 - 11:25 PM.