This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Optiplex 760 USFF - No Picture

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have just received an OptiPlex 760 USFF. When I turn it on I get no picture and two fast beeps. I have checked the RAM, CPU, and Hard Drive - all check out okay. Would anyone know what the problem could be?

I don't know the unit, and the beeps you describe are not shown on what I have found, but have a look at the Dell Optiplex 760 USFF Beep Codes, and see if anything stands out with what you have, although if I'm reading another page I've just seen is correct, they point to a ram issue, not sure what you have done when you say you checked them, but have you tried using a single stick and see what happened ?

 

This Troubleshooting Dell™ OptiPlex™ 760 Service Manual page has an extensive list of checking things out, and even shows you how to run the Dell utility to see what code that shows to help diagnose it, there are also lights shown, presumably on the motherboard, they also show what could be happening, it will guide you far better than I could, if this doesn't help then it may be a dead system, but see if this helps then go from there, hope it helps.

Yes. I've done everything the service manual suggests without results. I have replaced the memory, CPU, and hard drive - all are new. I have a bad feeling the board might be bad but the systems stays on -just without any video. Their are no diagnostic lights on the USFF but the front start light stays green - suggesting every things okay. I can't run any diagnostic software since I have no video.

Do you have a spare video card to swap in for testing purpose's ?

Could you put the problem card into another working system again for testing ?

 

If after following all that, and you have access to test the known working video card, which showed no image using the test card, and the problem card works in another system, then it sounds like the board may be the weak spot, unfortunately there is no way to test that, we can only test everything else, then if all that fails, the only thing left is the board, which then becomes a leap of faith, only if you have been able to prove the card to be working or not first, hope something helps.

I would tend to agree given what has been covered here, we can test nearly everything in some way, but the motherboard is the one thing we can't test, all we can do is rule out all other possible causes, until there is nothing else left, as in where this is now, at which point you either need to have spare parts such as boards (on top of the ram and drives you may have), or be able to use a meter and know how to check out the board at it's components.

 

Which in todays world only hobbyist's would do that just for the challenge, for anyone else the time that would take, and the cost of parts these days, they would just bin it and replace, as we are a disposable age these days, the best chance you have is if you can find someone throwing one away as not working, and fingers crossed it is not the board that has gone.

 

You may get lucky with a "back street repair shop" as they often hold such old stock incase they get that chance to use or sell it, but the bottom line is when all else is tried, and fails, then there is nothing more you can do without paying out for any parts or repairs (such as repair shops), I hate saying it, but like yourself I don't think we can reach any other conclusion without more extensive parts, sorry we didn't crack this one for you.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI