This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Program errors after automatic CheckDisk scan

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

 

I have been having some problems after CheckDisk ran by itself in DOS mode as soon as I finished browsing the net, replacing files and causing some of my programs, including some Windows ones, to stop working completely. One of Spybot's forum technicians found no trace of malware and suggested that it could be a failing hard drive and that I should post here. I have ran HDDScan and Seatools for Windows and both posted passes, with the latter posting passes on the Short DST, Short Generic and Long Generic tests.

 

I want to find out the cause of the problem in case I have to replace my hard drive, and I would be very grateful if you could help. My system is a Dual Core Windows 7 32-bit.

 

Thanks.

HI alx21.  Welcome to WhatTheTech!

 

There's not a lot of information for me to go on here.  If you can post a link to your malware thread you created on Spybot it can provide a lot of useful information to us as technicians.

 

In addition, it would be very helpful to know more details about the problem you are experiencing, such as which programs you are having trouble with and exactly what kind of trouble with those programs are you having?  Such as error messages, etc.

 

Finally, the events leading up to the chkdsk would be helpful.

 

Check disk repairs file system corruption that is often caused by one of two things.  Improperly shutting down the computer, or bad sectors on the hard drive.  If your drive passes the long tests with SeaTools I would think this indicates there is not a failing hard drive.  However, there may still be issues if it passed the tests but reported any bad sectors?  I'm not real familiar with the tool, but from what I found on the internet the long test checks the sectors but does no repairs if it finds any bad ones.  A couple of bad sectors on a hard drive is probably nothing to worry about but they should be locked out from future use and this is done with the "Fix All" test in SeaTools.

 

If check disk has found and repaired file system corruption, this could not have caused your current problems.  The things check disk "fixes" were already broken - therefore, if it is related, the problems already existed prior to chkdsk running.  However, if you do have significant file system corruption that was repaired due to whatever reason, then you quite likely could have a corrupt operating system and the only real way to completely fix significant problems like this can be to reinstall your operating system or do a factory restore.

 

I could suggest a couple of things.  First, if you feel the problems are related to events surrounding the check disk then I would recommend attempting to perform a system restore back to prior to the problems occurring and see if that helps.

 

If you continue to have problems you can try to check the windows system files using system file checker: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

Ahhh yes.  Thank you for that info.  Those disk errors are not something I'm concerned about at this point.  They are not the type that indicates hard drive failure, they are all at the same time, and are actually quite common while causing no side effects.  Not to say they aren't related, but I don't think they are anything to be overly concerned about at this point.  

 

The OP is doing good by scanning the hard drive for problems, and it appears there may be nothing wrong with the drive.  At worst maybe there is a bad connection on the drive SATA / Power cords.

 

More information about the exact problems with the software would help tremendously to see if there is a root cause.  The system looks pretty clean software wise, and a system restore may fix all these issues.

Hi appleoddity

The program errors are -

1. Windows Photo Viewer RunDLL : "There was a problem starting C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll. C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll is not a valid Win32 application".

2. Windows Notepad : A split second flash of DOS on the top left of the screen and then the program closes.

3. Windows Wordpad : Same as Windows Notepad.

4. LockV220.exe : "Lockv220.exe has stopped working. Windows can check online for a solution to the problem the next time you go online. View problem details"-

Problem event name: APPCRASH
Application name: LockV220.exe
Application version: 0.0.0.0
Application timestamp: 4760fed4
Fault module name: LockV220.exe
Fault module version: 0.0.0.0
Fault module timestamp: 4760fed4
Exception code: c0000005
Exception offset: 00029852

(the Lock application on the flash drive then becomes so corrupt that I have to replace it with a spare before I can open the flash drive on another computer).

5. Tweaking.com-Registry Backup : "Failed to load control 'Folder Browser' from. Your version of may be outdated . Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application".

6. Canon Scan Gear : "Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off. Check status. Scanner driver will be closed. Code 5,155,55" (this occurs after about 1 out of every four scans).

7. Avira Antivir : fails to open about 1 out of every 3 boots, so I have to reboot, sometimes twice. No error message is displayed.

8. All other programs seem to be working properly : Adobe Reader, Open Office, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, CCleaner, Honestech VHS to DVD, FRST, aswMBR, ASUS GeForce Experience, ASUS GPU Tweak, ASUS PC diagnostics, HDDScan, SeaTools for Windows, Windows Paint, Windows Run, Windows Disk Cleanup, Windows Disk Defragmenter.

Ultimately, I would prefer to do a reinstall, but I'm happy to try the System Restore as you have suggested just to see if CheckDisk did play a small part in all this. I'll wait for the go ahead from you.

Thanks.

Hi.  First, please run CHKDSK one more time to see if any further file corruption is fixed.  Open an administrative command prompt and type CHKDSK /F.  After you press ENTER you'll be prompted to schedule this scan after the next reboot.  Answer 'Y'es then reboot.

 

Try your programs again, if they don't work, then please try the system restore to prior to this problem occurring.

 

If you still have the problem, and you have no problem reinstalling then I certainly think you are at the point of severe enough corruption to warrant a reinstall.

Hi appleoddity

CheckDisk ran successfully but unsurprisingly, did not find any further files that needed fixing. Unfortunately, there were only two restore points available and that may have been due to a lack of care on my behalf -

17/09/14 15:25:24 Automatic System Restore Point
Type: System

17/09/14 19:22:00 Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86)
Type: Install

These two restore points correspond with the same time that I installed SeaTools for Windows and HDDScan, which means that by some mistake I had erased the last remaining clues to the automatic CheckDisk scan i.e. whether the affected programs would have worked after a system restore prior to the incident.

That said, I've reinstalled successfully and I'm very grateful for your guidance and that of ken545 at Spybot to ascertain that I did not have a live virus and that my hard drive is not failing, and I'm relieved that this is only file corruption.

Many thanks for your help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI