ogfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:46:56 PM, on 04/19/2006
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
I am unable to run scan disk. It reports not enough memmory. I have tried to do this in safe mode with nothing running but the result is the same.
I have tried to run Norton Disk Doctor from the cd drive but it says it is blocked by another unknown program.
I have tried to run the System Suite disk checker and it cannot access the disk.
I tried to reinstall Windows but it does not recognise the C:\ drive.
I have run: Bit Defender; McAfee; AVG; Xoftspy and Stinger with no viruses found.
I have run Spy Bot, Ad-Aware, Spy Sweeper, and Zone Alarm with nothing unusual reported.
I can run my other programs although they seem to be a bit slower and are crashing more often (my main hint that something was wrong)
can you help
thanks
p_b
You've already done the first and best thing, by rebooting into SAFE Mode.
But something is still interferring. hmmmm.
Next best guess would be some form of malware, or a utility updater, or in some cases like Compaq and HP they have their own dedicated "backdoor" routine that supposedly "allows" the user to receive system and utility updates effortlessly. (can you tell I don't like manufacturer's backdoor scripts?)
You might be able to "see" any backdoor script that is native to your manufacturer, by looking in the StartUp menu of your System Configuration Utility ——— Start - Run (type) MSCONFIG - Enter
If nothing appears obviously in the StartUp menu, you may be dealing with Malware.
Posting in the HJT Forum will also give you an excellent review to rule out Malware.
In the meantime, consider System File Checker
Start - Run - (type) sfc /scannow
Have your Win98SE CD handy, because if SFC identifies any missing or corrupt system files, it will call for the installation CD to copy and replace with the original file.
Best Regards
sfc-good idea but nothing showed- Ran Panda which noted only the usual cookies. I am convinced after 1\2 dozen ascans there is no virus. I am running a 'Mom "n" Pop'achine- with whom i have been dealing with for years so no back door.
thanks for your help so far
P_B
Hi prof_brian,
You've mentioned "System Suite" which variously refers to VCOM AntiVirus and Firewall, or Norton, or Zone Alarm System Suite. You also refer to running McAfee.
Do you have more than one AntiVirus utility installed and running on your machine?
I run only one virus program at a time. I used the others to double check. In any case I did Ghost another drive onto this and the cluster size is 16k. Since my drive is 70 meg. I assume the cluser size should be 32k. Is there FREEaRE like partition magic? Can I leave it at 16k? If I run scandisk in DOS mode I get all kinds of errors that if I fix I will have to reinstall everthing (UGH) so….
thanks again for the help
P_B
Cluster size is subject to many opinions, particularly from "performance oriented" individuals.
Their argument is that 4 or 8 are each better than the other due to their own preferences for performance.
16 and 32 are possible of course, but I don't hear anyone arguing that those values "should" be used when your operating system is XP.
Take a look in a few google searches for "cluster size and performance".
Since it's already formatted at 16, I see no reason to change and encumber yourself with all the data backup, application installations, driver re-installation, and operating system reinstallation.
If it's not broke, don't be fixin' on it.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI