This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows updates

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Windows wants 4 updates uninstalled but I do not have the numbers.

 

Also, I used to be able to view my update history but now there are only 4 for Defender.

There used to be about 100.

Where are the rest?

Thank you

Peter

See my other reply to you, please.

I can see the updates but I go to a different place unlike before.

I used to just click next to 'check updates' and view update history -now I see 4 defender updates. I have to go to the bottom of the page to click on installed updates to see what I used to before.

if that is nit an issue I am not concerned but if the registry is corrupted I think I should image back.

I guess I will wait till next Tues,. or Wed.

I used to click 'view update history' and see a long list of updates and now see only a few Defender updates. 

When  I click on the bottom, lower left "installed updates"  I now  see the updates.

sounds to me like the log file of all your old updates was deleted so now the new log file only lists the updates installed since the original was deleted, that is, it now only has the few new defender updates listed in it.

 

not a problem and nothing to worry about, doesn't effect anything in the way the os works, was just another log file containing info that "might" be useful for expert users when problem solving.

 

not knowing much about windows and it's operation, i'd guess the log file was probably stored in a temp location and you inadvertently changed something in ccleaner or some other program/location that told it to delete unneeded windows log files, so it got deleted when you did a clean up and a new file was then created/started when you had an update installed.

 

so unless you know what you changed or have already changed it back, i'd expect every time you do a clean up of temp files that particular log file will now always get deleted, so you'll never get a long list of previously installed updates any more, just a short list of new updates that have been installed since last clean up.

 

again i stress :- "not a problem and nothing to worry about."

 

:popcorn:

 

 

Windows wants 4 updates uninstalled but I do not have the numbers.

on this i'd say if windows needed 4 updates uninstalled then the windows os would uninstall those 4 updates by itself without you needing to do anything, same way windows os installs the updates without you needing to do anything.

 

you don't seem to be having any problems that would actually need you to manually uninstall a windows update so again i'd suggest leaving well enough alone and not jumping to conclusions and deleting/ uninstalling any updates unless a windows expert has told you that is definitely known to be what is needed to solve your particular problem (again doesn't seem to me your having any problems.).

I understand.

I do have the list of updates when I click on the update page on the lower  left where it says installed updates.

It seems like Defender was separated from the rest but all are viewable.

I do not use any 3rd party cleaners but may have used 'clean system files' and not noticed a check box.

Thank you for you support. I will not worry about it as all is working well now. I will see what MS does with the updates in the coming week.

It is comforting to know I have images that predate the updates.

Regards,

Peter

 

I was asked to send a copy of my log file using the link below. I thought I copied and pasted it -I know I did not cut.

This must be the problem.

 

%windir%\Windowsupdate.log

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI