Yeah, that email thing happens to all of us from time to time. Frustrating, isn't it? But we can surely finish things up now.
We have a few items to take care of before we get to the All Clean Speech
.= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Uninstall Combofix
The following will implement important cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:
Click on the Start
and then in the Search field enter combofix /uninstall
, as shown in the image below with the blue arrow.Please note that there is a space between combofix and /uninstall.
Once you have typed this in, press Enter
on your keyboard. A Open File security warning will appear asking if you are sure you want to run ComboFix. Please click on the Run
button to start the program.
ComboFix will now uninstall itself from your computer and remove any backups and quarantined files. When it has finished you will be greeted by a dialog box stating that ComboFix has been uninstalled.========================= Remove Disinfection Tools
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =With the above items taken care of let's move on to the All Clean part of the process.The following procedures are recommendations for helping to keep your system running smoothly. If you are currently satisfied with how your system is running some or all of these may not pertain to you. Implement what you need.This infection appears to have been cleaned, but I can not give you any absolute guarantees. As a precaution, I would go ahead and change all of your passwords as this is especially important after an infection.Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop.Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:Make your Internet Explorer more secure
- Download Delfix
- Tick the following boxes:
- Remove disinfection tools
- Create registry backup
- Purge system restore
- Click Run
- Any other tools and files found can simply be deleted or uninstall via the Control Panel.
- This can be done by following these simple instructions:
Make your Mozilla Firefox more secure
- From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click once on the Security tab
- Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click once on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
- Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
- Change the Navigate windows and frames across different domains to Prompt
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
- Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
- This can be done by adding these add-ons:Use and update an anti-virus software
- I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis. With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.Free Anti-VirusFree Firewall
Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. A tutorial on firewalls can be found here
.= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =Be prepared for CryptoLocker:Cryptolocker Ransomware: What You Need To KnowCryptoLocker Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ
to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free program:CryptoPrevent
install this program to lock down and prevent crypto-ransomeware= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =COMPUTER SECURITY
- a short guide to staying safer online= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =WOT
Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites - green to go, yellow for caution and red to stop, helping you avoid the dangerous sites. WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =P2P
- Green should be good to go
- Yellow for caution
- Red to stop
may be a great way to get lots of stuffs, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well.
Please read these short reports on the dangers of peer-2-peer programs and file sharing.= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =Make sure you keep your Windows OS current
- Windows XP:
Microsoft will no longer offer support for Windows XP beginning on April 8, 2014
If you are running Windows XP, please take the time to read the information provided at these links.
- Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems.
- Window 8 Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you're using a mouse, pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), tapping or clicking Settings, tapping or clicking Change PC settings, and then tapping or clicking Update and recovery.
Without these you are leaving the back door open.= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =Consider a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS
. This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers. For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002
Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client
installing a custom hosts file.= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Finally, I strongly recommend that you read TonyKlein's good advice So how did I get infected in the first place? Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.