This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows PE environment

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

I use Win 8.1.

Usually I restore with the Linux choice.

If I make the Win PE disc should I choose 3.1, 4.0 or 5?          

I currently have 4.0

I have never used this so is it straight forward in that I could recover with it as well as Linux?

I think it has more tools but I am asking if one can recover an image about as easily as Linux?

Thank you

Peter

Hi Peter.  To best answer your question I think it is necessary to know how you created an image in the first place.  Each method, or software, that you use to create a backup should have a documented way to boot your computer and restore the image.  

 

When it comes to Windows PE it is basically a live version of Windows, just like a Linux Live CD.  I might be wrong but the version of WinPE corresponds with what version of Windows you want it to run.  WinPE 2.0 = XP, 3.0 = Vista, 4.0 = 7, 5.0 = 8, 5.1 = 8.1, etc.  You would typically use it to run special tools to repair your system, but not necessarily to perform a full system recovery.  Most of the repair that might need to be done can be done simply using the Windows installation disc and using the tools it comes with (System restore, system recovery, command prompt, startup repair, etc.)

 

You mention you are running Windows 8.1.  Its possible you are using an old school of thought when it comes to backup and recovery.  Windows 8.1 has everything built in to fully restore your system or backup your files.  

 

Here is some more information about Windows 8.1 system recovery: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/hands-windows-81-system-recovery

I have been using this program for years without failure.

I enclosed an attachment that suggest 5 would be a better choice for 8.1 than 4 so I will burn it.

I will continue using Linux until or if Win PE is necessary.

This information was released at a Macrium site.

I am aware of the Windows imaging program but prefer this program.

 

Your information is appreciated.

 

Attachments:

The latest Macrium Reflect Free will download either WinPE 3.1 or 4.0 automatically when you choose WinPE as the CD boot OS. I used 3.1 but 4.0 would be fine also.

 

Just did this today, selected WinPE 3.1 when creating the Rescue CD then booted it to restore a Win 8.1 Macrium created image to a different computer. Worked great. All the devices were sorted on first boot and all I had to do was activate.

I've use the Macrium Refect PE (Windows PE?) for as long as I can remember but there was no complete ISO download offered, just a Wizard to build it with. So I guess it must have been the very 1st. version, whatever that was.

 

I've never used the basic tools on it just the Reflect restore and it still works fine.

When I reinstalled my OS, Macrium 5.3 showed build 7134 and the Win PE default was to 5.0.

Perhaps it senses 8.1 and makes this adjustment or the new build does this. I have both Win PE 4 and 5 just in case.

 

However, I still use Linux to recover.

As long as you are using a documented procedure for restoring your Macrium image you should be fine. 

 

You must be referring to this information? http://www.macrium.com/webhelp/starting_with_the_rescue_cd.asp

 

When the end goal is to restore a full image of your system it's not going to matter much what type of rescue CD you use.  As the website mentions, Windows PE supports a greater set of hardware.  For instance, lets say you have very new hardware and the RAID / SATA controller is not recognized by the Linux live CD.  If it is not recognized Macrium will be unable to restore your image to the drive.  In this case, using the very latest version of a Windows PE disc would be best because it is likely to have the most compatible drivers available. As another option, sometimes during the build process you can introduce your own drivers to support your specific hardware.  This is most likely the case when building a Windows PE disc as Linux is a whole different beast.

 

If you intend to restore this image to different hardware then you'll want to make sure that the rescue disc you use can recognize the hard drives when you boot it.  My recommendation would be to use the very latest version of Windows PE available at all times.  It will support the newest and largest amount of hardware.  However, with that said, I have experienced in very rare cases where using an older PE disc is necessary for some odd reason such as the new version might not boot properly or something like that.  But that is very rare.

 

Other examples where the type and version of your disc is going to be important would be if you are trying to restore over a network and the network adapter is not recognized by the version of disc you use.  Again, the latest build of Windows PE is likely to have the largest and most compatible database of hardware drivers and will usually be your best bet.

 

You'll know if your version of disc is OK if it recognizes your hard drives, network adapters, etc. The newer your hardware the less likely it will be supported by older versions of rescue / Live discs.

I will use the disc as needed and good to know the PE disc will accommodate dire situations.

This information is appreciated as usual.

Peter

You'll know if your version of disc is OK if it recognizes your hard drives, network adapters, etc. The newer your hardware the less likely it will be supported by older versions of rescue / Live discs.

 

Didn't think of that. Never had a problem with the old version but my PC is not the only one I use it on.

I'd better create the latest version to have on hand, just in case.  Thanks for the heads-up  :notworthy:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI