Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Manage passwords

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Linda Murphy

Linda Murphy

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

In March 2011 PC Mag reviewed LastPass, RoboForm and Kaspersky for managing passwords. I have over 100 passwords for various sites (forums, email, retail/shopping, financial sites, and more). I cannot possibly memorize them all. Up until now, I've written them on paper and kept them hidden and locked out of site - and memorized the ones I use the most often. But times have changed. I now have three laptops, a tablet, and a phone. I use public wifi networks to log in to my accounts. Sometimes I want to login to accounts from public computers like the ones at the library. How do I safely & securely use public resources to access my password-protected accounts? Is there a 'cloud' encrypted service which could hold my userids and passwords and provide them wherever I go, whenever I go, using whatever device I use? thanks Linda Tags: password manager, managing passwords, password wallet, master password, mobile password management, password synchronization, password protection
-Linda

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

I have a pw.txt file that I keep all my passwords in. I encrypt it and have to enter the encryption key each time I want to access the data in it. I keep a copy on 2 desktops plus my laptop,

See here for some encryption programs: Five Best File Encryption Tools

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Linda Murphy

Linda Murphy

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

I have a pw.txt file that I keep all my passwords in. I encrypt it and have to enter the encryption key each time I want to access the data in it. I keep a copy on 2 desktops plus my laptop,

See here for some encryption programs: Five Best File Encryption Tools

Thanks! I had just come to a similar conclusion... I already had one of those programs installed on 1 laptop and just installed it on the second laptop... Don't know what I'll do about the MacBook. Don't know if there's a program to open the file there.

I'm encrypting a txt with the program, then I was going to push the file onto a cloud drive like g drive, dropbox, sugar sync, etc.

i'm not sure whether I have the app i'll need on my android tablet to unzip/unencrypt the 7zip file. i'll have to test it.

I hope this is safe enough!
-Linda

#4 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

I had a similar problem Linda.

A keychain now has a small 5GB flash drive with Sandisk Vault on it. I use it for Laptops and other computers.
It contains a copy of my passwords, name and phone number lists etc.

It's also handy for storage of other sensitive files and documents gathered on the run, for later transfer to home or work computer.
Works on Windows or Mac and only needs to be installed on the flash drive, not your computer.

No partitioning is required to create a storage "Vault", or two if you want a windows and mac vault on the same flash drive (or use two if you like).
The rest of the flash capacity is handy for unprotected use.

.Creates a password-protected** folder on your flash drive
.128-bit AES encryption for maximum data security
. Easy drag-and-drop file transfer
.Includes 2GB** of secure online backup storage**
.Compatible with all SanDisk USB flash drives

You can buy a Sandisk flash drive with Vault included or just do what I did, downloaded the free software exes' to a tiny 5Gb Sandisk flash drive ($5 each) I already had.

Edited by Lee, 07 June 2013 - 10:15 PM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.