Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How to lock Office files?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MobileMania

MobileMania

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Knowing about advanced Technologies

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:52 AM

Hey Guys! My question surrounds the security of Office files. Is there any way to lock the Office 2007 files. 1) Tell me how to lock files for editing (I mean file could be opened for reading purpose but can not be edited) 2) How to apply password on files so that it can not be even opened for reading. I really need guidance on these steps. Please help me.Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 inzanity

inzanity

♠♠lost♠♠

• Malware Team
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:28 AM

Hi,

Try this:
  • Open Word.
  • Click on Tools -> Options.
  • Click on the Security tab.
  • Under Security tab are two options:
    Password to open - this will put a password on your document, preventing someone fom opening it without the necessary password.
    Password to modify - this will put a password on your document, preventing someone fom editing it without the necessary password.
Hope this helps. :)

Proud graduate of WTT Classroom

The help we provide here is free, however, if you wish to donate, you can do so here: http://www.whatthetech.com/donate/

ASAP and UNITE member

!

#3 inzanity

inzanity

♠♠lost♠♠

• Malware Team
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:40 AM

Just re-read the post. It is for Office 2007. What I've posted was for 2003.

For Office 2007 (.doc .xls and .ppt files).:
  • Click Microsoft Office Button -> Save As.
  • Click on Tools -> General Options.
  • Under General Options:
    Password to open - this will put a password on your document, preventing someone fom opening it without the necessary password.
    Password to modify - this will put a password on your document, preventing someone fom editing it without the necessary password.
  • Click OK.
Source: http://www.groovypos...2007-documents/

The help we provide here is free, however, if you wish to donate, you can do so here: http://www.whatthetech.com/donate/

ASAP and UNITE member

!

#4 MobileMania

MobileMania

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Knowing about advanced Technologies

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hey Thanks a million Inzanity. It worked great and helping me lot ;) i actually remembered it from my colege classes when once out ICT teacher told us how to lock office files but it totally skipped out of my mind :) but now i will remember that ;) Thanks

#5 inzanity

inzanity

♠♠lost♠♠

• Malware Team
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

You're welcome. ^_^

ASAP and UNITE member

!

#6 Vikas goyal

Vikas goyal

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:45 AM

Hey Guys! My question surrounds the security of Office files. Is there any way to lock the Office 2007 files. 1) Tell me how to lock files for editing (I mean file could be opened for reading purpose but can not be edited) 2) How to apply password on files so that it can not be even opened for reading. I really need guidance on these steps. Please help me.Thanks in advance

Sir I want to know that where is tools options in M S office file 

#7 HadiqaKyani

HadiqaKyani

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 11:30 AM

1. On the Word menu, click Preferences.
  2. Under Personal Settings, click Security .
  3. In the Password to open box, type a password, and then click OK.
  4. In the Confirm Password dialog box, type the password again, and then click OK.
  5. Click Save .
Microsoft Office 2007: To encrypt files in Microsoft Office 2007 first open your Word document or Excel spreadsheet. Then click the Office button in the top left corner of your window and choose “Prepare”. Now click “Encrypt Document” and enter the desired password when prompted.

#8 jimmyvince2023

jimmyvince2023

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 05:50 AM

To lock Office files, you can use password protection. Here are the steps to lock an Office file with a password:

1. Open the Office file you want to lock, such as a Word, Excel, or PowerPoint document.
  2. Click on "File" in the top left corner of the screen.
  3. Click on "Info" in the left menu.
  4. Click on "Protect Document" or "Protect Workbook" or "Protect Presentation".
  5. Select "Encrypt with Password".
  6. Type in a password that you will remember but others will not be able to guess.
  7. Click "OK" and confirm the password.
  8. Save the file.

#9 Jessica Herron

Jessica Herron

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:45 AM

To lock Office files, you can set a password to restrict access to the document. Here's how to do it in Microsoft Office:
  1. Open the Office document you want to lock.
  2. Click on "File" and then click on "Info."
  3. Click on "Protect Document" and then select "Encrypt with Password."
  4. In the "Encrypt Document" dialog box, type a password in the "Password" box and then click "OK."
  5. In the "Confirm Password" dialog box, retype the password and then click "OK."
  6. Save the document.
Once you've set the password, anyone who wants to open the document will need to enter the password. To remove the password protection, follow the same steps and then delete the password in the "Encrypt Document" dialog box.