Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Programs crashing randomly during startup

win7 crash

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cloud9999

cloud9999

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

Hi, I have a Win7 64bit partition, it was brand new install couple weeks ago. So at first it's good, but after a couple of days I start getting programs to crash randomly during startup (when all the installed programs are loading), randomly as in, if they crashed, I did a reboot and eventually they would all load OK. Until now. Im getting a crash on the Catalyst Control Centre (CLI.exe), Skype is also crashing when I try to log in, MBAM crashes as well, explorer.exe also crashes sometimes at startup, sometimes the sound driver doesn't load... it's a mess.

I have run MBAM with no results besides some false positives. I have Comodo Firewall running. I don't get why this is happening. I also ran the ram memory check program that comes with Windows 7 and it didn't detect anything. Please help.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

First off, I would advise to get rid of the"techy" Comodo firerwall (might be contibuting to your problems), as W7 has an excellent firewall and you don't need two of them.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

Sounds a lot like a memory problem.

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

You can do this on any computer that has a working CD Burner.

You can also use a Flash drive instead of a CD.

Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*.
Unzip and run Memtest86+ USB Installer.exe.
It will format the flash drive if you tell it to. I used a small, 16MB flash drive and it had 8.5GB left when done.

Boot the CD or Flash drive and run Memtest86+ for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that. An overnight run is even better.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 cloud9999

cloud9999

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

Hi,  I have been some research, i've noticed lately explorer.exe goes so high in CPU usage, also some other processes take practically exact amounts of CPU space without little variation, for example right now I have dllhost.exe, rundll32.exe and searchfilterhost.exe using 25% CPU each one, then explorer sometimes goes ridiculously high and I have to close it. My PC is becoming worse by the day. With process explorer, I saw in explorer.exe in "Threads": shlwapi.dll was the one taking the CPU load. I will run the memtest. I ran the default mem test program that comes with Windows a while a go and nothing was found.

#5 cloud9999

cloud9999

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

Hi, btw none of the high CPU usage stuff happens in safe mode.

#6 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

If safe mode is OK your hardware sounds fine.

Time to head to The Pit and run an Overdrive test:

You must use Internet Explorer as it needs to install an ActiveX program.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"

If you haven't already registered, Click on  - Sign up FREE! (top left-hand "user login").

1.Register and create a password.
2. Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests.

Registering and accepting the ActiveX is both SAFE and FREE.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the URL (the http:// address) back here into this thread for tech. review.

Vista/Windows 7 users, please close your instance of IE "Running as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.

If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence

The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem. Since this site is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of any automated utilities advertizes on the Pitstop site.

Edited by Lee, 25 June 2014 - 05:23 PM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.