This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 7 random memory spike

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok heres the problem, since a few weeks back I have been having this issue where my RAM just jumps from normal 40-50 % to 90%, there is nothing in the task manager or anywhere to account for it. It happens randomly with actions such as browsing the web, or during a game I run or downloading something. I have searched all over on how to fix this and it seems like people have similar problems but no one can give a solution. I came to the what the tech forums about this some time ago and thought I got rid of the problem but apparently not. The only way I can solve this random memory spike is to re install windows, after that it doesn't happen for a time and comes back a few months later. I have scanned with superantispyware, malwarebytes, MSSE and no malware found, I am generally a safe user and haven't gotten a virus in a long time so I don't think thats the issue. I have some screenshots to show what I am experiancing. Sometimes I can trigger the issue by downloading things in uttorrent but it can be done other ways which are random. I just used the uttorrent method so i could get the screenshots. Hopefully you guys can come up with something cause no one else on the internet has.


My Specs:

Core i5 750 2.66ghz
4gb ddr3 ram
Gtx 460 1gb
Windows 7 64 bit

🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image)

🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image)

🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image)


Direct image links:

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy321/rupok93/ram2.png
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy321/rupok93/ram3.png
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy321/rupok93/ram.png
Hi rupok.

Sounds like one of those intermittent problems that can drive one crazy :pullhair:

I would initially do a Megabytes scan in safe mode with networking.

If nothing shows up I would suggest disabling Windows Search Indexing searchindexer.exe in W7 which is often the cause of unexplained CPU and RAM spikes.

Click Start Button / Control Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows Features on or off.
Clear the Indexing Service's check box on the "Windows Features" window and click ok.


Even though you have turned off Windows Search Indexing service, you will still have a normal but simple search function..

If both of the above suggestions fail, you could try to track the problem down as advised in Microsoft answers:

Even if nothing shows up in the "Application" window of Taskmanager some things (many,many, things) are always running in the background of Windows.

To find out what is using the memory go to the "Processes" tab in Task manager.
Check the box at the bottom that says "show processes from all users".

Go to the "View" menu tab and scroll down to "Select columns".
Make sure the three "Memory" boxes are checked (Private set, Private Working Set, Commit size), also check the 'Command Line" box.
These columns will show the amount of memory being used by the program listedi in the command line column. You may have to click the top of the columns to make sure they sort in descending order of size. The normal sort order is by "Image name" in the left column.
When they are sorted by memory size the order will flicker as different programs use memory but the largest users will always be at the top.

You might want to make a note of these under normal conditions.

Leave Taskmanager running and minimized. When your memory hog shows up switch to Taskmanager and see what the command lines corresponding to the maxmemory users are. This will at least give you a start on finding out what is going on when the memory maxes.

Failing all of the above, I would suggest you test your RAM with MemTest

Download MemTest:.

How to use MemTest.

Cheers,
Lee
@rupok, There could be any number of reasons for the behaviour you describe, and Lee has provided you with a good starting point to help clear it up. All the time you have peer to peer file sharing (P2P) like utorrent, on your machine, it can be a very risky procedure … you need to allow other folks (who are unknown) access to parts of your computer for utorrent to work effectively…….. utorrent will require access through your firewall for it to work effectively, and a firewall is a very important layer of your machine's security. Peer to peer file sharing has legitimate uses but many folks use it to circumvent copyright and the like, and to avoid paying licencing fees and other "dues". Its a major vector for the distribution of malicious code….some of it very difficult to detect and itt is recommended (strongly) that you remove all P2P file sharing applications and if any files have been downloaded where their provenance is not 100% and beyond question via P2P, that you delete them and empty the Recycle Bin. Regards paws
well It happens random, its just that i can trigger it with uttorrent, the files I downloaded are not illegal or filled with viruses, they are from safe sites. Anyways I have a theory that its the homegroup setup for windows 7, I think when huge files or lots of files are being added to my library it causes this issue. I have disabled homegroup and will see if it goes away. I noticed that when I reinstall windows I don't activate homegroup until I decide to do something on my other pc and I activated it a few weeks ago and thats when the problem revealed itself again. Memtest shows everything perfect and nothing found in Malwarebytes in windows safe mode. Also task manager shows jack squat. I have tried many many ways to track the memory hog down, monitoring services, monitoring all processes on the pc, NOTHING changes in the process tabs when this happens and thats the headache. If I could track it down I could find the problem. Ill report in a one or two days, the problem happens everyday randomly so it shouldn't take long for me to know if the homegroup disabling worked or not.
Ok disabling homegroup didn't do anything and disabling windows search didn't help either. I am going crazy over here trying to find this. This time it was triggered by trying to upload a video on youtube, it would just jump to 95% ram.
I have 4gb of ram, as for the video I don't think I can do that because the moment the pc goes ot that state windows becomes almost unresponsive for 5 minutes. I have some screenshots up there u can check. Basically my ram is always at 40 percent and when I upload youtube videos or when I download alot of files at the same time this happens. There are other triggers too but network traffic is the easiest.
Give Sysinternals Process Explorer a try, see if it give you any more information.

Also, when using Task Manager, Processes tab, click on Show processes from all users at bottom left. Then click on the CPU column header to sort by most to least.
Tried process explorer and it shows nothing and I already put up results with show all processes enabled in task manager. This thing is invisible IDK what the hell is causing it.
At this stage lets run this program:

PC Pitstop 'OVERDRIVE' for XP, Vista and W7:

Before making any changes, let's get a better overview of what going on in your PC from PC Pitstop OverDrive.

Fast, Comprehensive, and Free.
In just a few minutes OverDrive creates an extensive report of your PC's performance, security, software, drivers, and more. In order to receive the full benefit and display the full Results of OverDrive, it is necessary to run Internet Explorer As Administrator.

To do so:
1) Close all instances of Internet Explorer and any other programs open.
2) Click on W7 Start
3) Right-Click on Internet Explorer and "Run as Administrator"
This will give your machine full privilege to take advantage of all the features of PCPitstop OverDrive Full Tests.
4)Navigate to PC Pitstop
5) Register and accept the necessary active-X need to run Overdrive
6) Run PC Pitstop Overdrive
7) Post the URL link to your fresh Results.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product we do not necessarily support.

Cheers,
Lee.
Well nothing is jumping out at me in that report.
I do notice you have a video card overclocker (Afterburner) and I'm wondering how far you have pushed your card(?)

Lets try a different approach:

Please consider running this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active, or not.
CodeStuff-Starters

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab -
Click on File
Select - save as .Plain Text (name the report file - Startups Nov4.txt

Save the Report to your Desktop and in your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons – at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window).

Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.
I've also read where Steam can cause some weird problems. Are you at the latest version available? You could try uninstalling it for awhile as a test. PS: Do you really play all those games :smack:
There u go I uploaded the file as an attachment. Its not steam I am pretty certain, I always have steam installed since the time I re install windows and I said the problem reappeared a couple of weeks ago. Its latest version. Yes this is my gaming rig so its not surprising I have all those games, No I don't play all of them constantly but have them installed if I feel like playing one. This is like only 40 percent of my total games I have like 122 games on steam. :woot:
It's a fantastic computer though. Maybe you could send it to me so I can work on it. Can have it back to you in tip top condition in 3-4 years for sure :rofl:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI