I have an HP a1330n Pavillion running XP service pack 3. I had a 1260i DVD burner in it (even though device mgr said it was a 1260t). I burn a lot of DVDs and it had worked great for years. I use a program called daburner and burn them as data discs. I was getting errors such as one that said the power calibration area is full and another that said time out on logical unit. I talked to HP and while they were nice and responsive I got nowhere with them. After all that use I though maybe I had worn it out.
I bought a new burner (the same one) and burned 4 discs and was hoping things were fixed. Then I created 2 coasters and received the following error message: Writer Error [hardware error (timeout in logical unit)].
Is this anything you might be able to help me with?
first things to try are different burning software, or a different brand/some new disks (i have had a bad batch of disk before), also try burning at a slower speed like 4x
here's 2 free burning software you might like to try.
I just burned a disc with Ashampoo and stepped it down to 8x and it burned fine. I want to burn more before I say "good". I have 2 questions on it's use if you can help me. I can't fine the answers. If I load up a number of files to burn but it's bigger than the size of my disc and I want to delete some, can I delete them from the middle of the list based on size? I can't figure out how to do that. All it will let me do is delete the last one on the list. With daBurner I can right click on any file and delete it - not just the last one.
Secondly, after I finish burning how do I delete all the files (without deleting them one at a time) at once to start burning a new disc?
You can ignore my 2 previous questions. I was clicking in the wrong location on the first and figured out a way to do it on the second question. On the first one I have to click the file name with this program, with daburner I could click anywhere on the line.
I do have a couple of other questions if you're familiar with this software.
1. If it possible to view the movies as you're burning the dvd. It's a minor point but I could be burning while I write up a label for the storage case. Right now I have to do the label and then burn. Just trying to do 2 things at once.
2. It gives you a counter and tells you how big the files are that you want to put on the dvd. My limit is 4.7 gigs. This program will barely let me do more than 4.5 gigs. So I'm losing about .2 gigs per disc. Any thoughts on that?
I have burned about 8 discs this afternoon mostly at 8x but a couple at 12x and all seems well. Do you have any idea what went wrong before? The other comment I had is could you keep this thread open for another week or so while I do more testing?
Before I forget thank you for your help with this.
sorry can't help with the burning software questions, i haven't used either for years.
if the disks burn fine with ashampoo, i think i'd try a clean install of your usual burning software and then burn at the slower speeds and see if that also works.
the topics never get closed here, so will always be open for you to carry on with the topic at any time.
i think it may just be a dodgy batch of disks and the slower burning speed fixes things.
Can't do that unfortunately. I tried earlier and when you go to d/l you get a message that says "sorry the project is suspended" or something like that. I wonder if somehow the software got corrupted and kept giving me all those error messages. I just saw you last line about the dodgey disks - could be that also.
Anyway, thank you again so very much for your help with this.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI