This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 8.1 Not Updating + Snipping Tool Not working.

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Title.
I've put the two into one thread for convenience.

I'll start with the second one first, since it isn't concerning me as much.
Whenever I try to open the snipping tool, I get the bar that contains the name of the program, the minimize button, the maximize button, and the close button (I don't know the name of this bar).
None of the actual functions of the program are present. Resetting hasn't solved the issue.

Now for the second problem.
Windows 8.1 has been trying to update for the past two or so weeks. Every day, with the exception of a few, during this time period, my laptop (an Asus G750J) has "attempted" to update itself before shutting down. I say attempt because, after the update has "completed," and I turn the laptop on the next day, I still get indications that an update needs to be completed.

On three occasions, upon startup, the laptop brought me to a blue screen that said that the updates were being installed. And on all occasions, I then got a message saying that updates could not be instaelled, and are thus being undone.

I have always updated the laptop as soon as I got the indication to do so, and this is the first time i've experienced this problem.

If I need to or should provide extra information, please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi, Have you tried using a system restore point created before the issues began? as this may be a good first step in overcoming the issues.

Regards

paws

I've tried that
The thing is, whenever Windows attempts to do a critical update, it creates a restore point.
My earliest current restore point is now on the 18th of May, which is well after these problems started.

Hi,

if the 18th May is your earliest restore point then something is wrong with your set up…

 

Try doing a "refresh" this should not affect your data files but as always make sure your "back up" is watertight…just in case

regards

paws

Ztruker,
I have been following the instructions as posted in that link.
I bought the laptop with windows 8 pre-installed (which I later update to windows 8.1)
The posted instructions say that I should run the windows 8 installer from the USB, or the DVD.
I have a USB, but my understanding is that it should be used for system recovery (I have used it for this purpose a few months ago when the computer wouldn't start)
I have put the USB in, but there is no "setup" file to double-click or from which I can run anything.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI