This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win 8.1 hanging after installing Windows updates

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

I just installed about 8 Windows updates and when the PC rebooted, it got hung up on the screen that says 'restarting'. I left it to see if it was just working but after 5 hrs nothing changed.

 

I attempted to restart it several times but various iterations of the above screen have popped up. I got as far as actually hearing the Win boot tones but the last note hung up permanently, making a stuccato sound and freezing the process. I'm currently working off my laptop.

 

I even tried booting into 'safe mode' using F8 and the combo of F8+Shift, but no luck.

 

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it!

 

Thanks in advance,

 

Taz

Booting to Safe mode can be somewhat different in 8.1 because the boot procedure is so fast that sometimes hitting the keys don't stop anything. Try this way;

 

Press the Power button at the Windows login screen and then press and hold SHIFT key on the keyboard and you should get the option to choose Restart. Windows should tell you to Choose an Option and choose Troubleshoot.

 

In the Troubleshoot screen, press Advanced options. In the Advanced options screen, you can either choose System Restore, to restore your computer back to what it was just before the Updates were installed or you can press Startup Settings. When you get to Start Up settings you can then choose Safe mode, Safe mode with Networking or Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
 

Ok….did what you said. Came very quickly to a screen with a frown face :( that said the PC was having problems and needed to reboot and then did just that. It seems to now be in a reboot loop. My son thinks my MBF is corrupted from the Win download.

 

This happened to my wife's PC some time ago as I remember and it was a mess to get corrected.

 

Where do I go now?

Did this computer come with 8.1 or did it come with Windows 8 and then updated to 8.1? I ask this because this problem is sometime caused by out dated hardware drivers and if a system has been upgraded to the next version, like 8 to 8.1, sometimes some hardware drivers also need to be updated.

 

What brand of computer do you have? 32 or 64bit?

 

Can I ask, what do you mean by MBF? I am not familiar with the term. Do you mean MBR? which stands for Master Boot Record

Hi,

 

I routinely check and update my drivers. In fact, had just done it a few days b4 doing the download of Win files, The PC came with Win7 but has been upgraded to Win8 then 8.1.

 

The PC is a Gateway DX 4860 and was mfg in 2013. It's a 64-bit. My error, I meant MBR as you suggested.  I have since made a USB with Win8.1 on it but the HDD still won't be repaired by the O/S as a part of their options on the system. Looking for the next step….:(

Well, unfortunately I tried this about 3 hrs ago with a USB flash drive and it didn't work "( I got to the repair screen but nothing short of a reformat is going to fix this I fear.

 

Thanks for you time and trouble…..if you come up with any new ideas, send them along before tomorrow mid morning.

 

Taz

Reformat really might be easier and faster in the long run, though you will have to reinstall everything from day one, all programs, etc. but you would be certain all system files are good and not corrupted as they appear to be right now.

 

Don't forget you absolutely need the Windows Product Key in order to reinstall the OS to the computer. You also need to reinstall the hardware drivers too of course.

As long as you have all you need to do the reformat/reinstall you should be able to do this in just a few hours.

Just noticed something when I got in thru command prompt…..all my drive letters have been changed! My C drive is now my E drive? Could that be a part of the issue?

I presume your operating system is installed on "C" drive. What other things do you have plugged into the computer? You need to remove all except for the monitor, keyboard & mouse.

Yes, the O/S is on C:. I have a printer, a scanner, speakers, and an NAS plugged in. So, disconnect everything except the above? I also have dual monitors.

Only the most necessary hardware should be plugged into the computer when repair, reformat/reinstall are done on a computer. One monitor, keyboard and mouse, period. Nothing else unless you are booting from a repair disk or usb repair. You would boot to those and then work from that to do the work on "C".

 

That said, I have done some additional searching and here is what I found:

 

Trying to find out the cause of all your problems I looked back through your previous threads and I found that less than one month ago you had a thread here about being infected with the Trojan.Kotver.

 

https://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=130925#entry879819

 

I truly feel this is the cause of your present problems. That is an extremely serious trojan. Yours was found by your Norton program but virtually all anti-virus programs today will find it. It comes onto a computer in various ways, a drive-by download from a malicious website, from your email or any of its attachments – .exe files, archives, images, documents, bundled with downloads from various disreputable web sites, or one of the most common ways, file sharing with programs like the one you have on the computer, Frostwire.

This type of Trojan is well known to to corrupt or delete some of the data on your PC. It is also well known to be programmed to copy and send all your sensitive credentials to its dishonest creators who then get access to all your accounts and personal information, which may result in identity theft.

This trojan makes major changes to your registry. It essentially is hidden in the registry and programmed to automatically start the minute you boot your computer.

You were told by the helper in that thread to Uninstall all iObit software, it is well known junk. There is not a legitimate malware removal forum on the web that does not recommend that every single iObit software be removed. It can and does damage computers. You refused to remove two portions of this software.

 

You also were told to remove Frostwire, because file sharing is probably one of the easiest ways to get some of the worst infections. I did not see anywhere that you said you removed it.

 

You said you used Revo Uninstaller to remove the parts of iObit that you removed but your version of Revo is 3 years old and it appears to be the 32bit version. You have a 64bit operating system so a 32bit version of Revo will not remove all files because the 32bit version cannot see the 64bit files. So at least half of the iObit that you tried to remove essentially remains along with the two portions you said you didn't want to remove. It truly IS junk software, all of it and it can damage your computer even though you feel it is doing a good job. Virtually anything it says it can do can be done either manually or by reputable, free software.

 

You said you used the Norton Removal Tool which is well known, and of course recommended, BUT that is only one of four tools that are commonly recommended on all removal sites to completely remove this trojan. Since none of the other tools were used it is very likely some of its files likely remain. That is why I believe your problems now all stem back to that infection, it is still there.

Ahhhh….great. So now I'm going to guess that a total format and rebuild less the iObit and Frostwire programs are in order? I did manage to find a Gateway restore on the PC, however it's hung up at 99% 'updating system' after completing 100% of 'restoring system". What concerns me now is that some of those files and programs MAY be on my NAS.

This is somewhat of a nightmare…..even if I had deleted the questionable software at the time, the damage had probably already been done, hadn't it?

I'll have to research each and every tool I have before I reinstall to be sure it's not rogue and see what files they may have corrupted beside Win.

 

Where do you recommend I start? I also have ASC on 2 other PC's, including this laptop I'm on. Looks like it's going to be a long week…

Just went to Revo's website. My ver is about 45 days old and according to them, it is compatible with both 32 and 64 bit systems. I would surmise from that that it works effective for both architectures wouldn't it? Otherwise, what would be the point?

Ahhhh….great. So now I'm going to guess that a total format and rebuild less the iObit and Frostwire programs are in order? I did manage to find a Gateway restore on the PC, however it's hung up at 99% 'updating system' after completing 100% of 'restoring system".

 

Yes, format would be your best option. For the moment, give the restore some time and see what happens Don't forget, if this is the Gateway restore, this could be restore back to Windows 7. Not sure how you did the upgrade or what type of upgrade you did.

 

What concerns me now is that some of those files and programs MAY be on my NAS.

 

That is certainly possible. I am not familar with the use of a NAS but you DO have security on it do you not?

 

This is somewhat of a nightmare…..even if I had deleted the questionable software at the time, the damage had probably already been done, hadn't it?

 

 

Not necessarily. IF all of the recommended tools had been used then several of those tools DO fix the affected files. Would all of them been fixed, no guarantee but very often the answer would be yes.
 

 

I'll have to research each and every tool I have before I reinstall to be sure it's not rogue and see what files they may have corrupted beside Win.

 

 

Not sure what tools you are talking about or where they were stored. If these were "legally" obtained, not via Frostwire in other words and were stored OFF the computer entirely then they should be good, though I would recommending scanning each tool with your Norton Program, which I assume was purchased legally, before reinstalling the tools. If they are infected then that will be shown to you. You can also scan these files by uploading them  to

https://virusscan.jotti.org/en

and also http://virscan.org/'

 

Those two pages scan individual files using 20 or so different scanners and they will tell you if the files are clean. If any of them flag the files as infected then don't use them.

 

Where do you recommend I start? I also have ASC on 2 other PC's, including this laptop I'm on. Looks like it's going to be a long week…

 

Not sure what you mean by ASC. Please explain why you would need to do the other computers?

Key thing is work on only ONE computer at a time. Finish that computer completely, get it fully up to "today" updates, programs, etc. After that then go to one more and do the same and then the last one.
 

 

Just went to Revo's website. My ver is about 45 days old and according to them, it is compatible with both 32 and 64 bit systems. I would surmise from that that it works effective for both architectures wouldn't it? Otherwise, what would be the point?

 

 

Yes if it is compatible for both 32 bit and 64bit then yes it would work fully. But the one showing in your logs on the other thread shows that you have version 1.95 32bit and that was not 45 days old, version 1.95 is 3 years old. Do you have Revo Installer Pro version? Meaning Paid version and did you pay for it or use Frostwire to get it?  The latest Paid version is v. 3.1.7 released Oct. 13th. Version 1.95 was released in 2013. There is also a FREE version offered by Revo and that version is 2.0.1 which was released Sept. 19th. So you should either the Paid version, Revo Uninstaller Pro v. 3.1.7 or the Free version 2.0.1. Your log doesn't show either one of those but it shows .Revo Uninstaller 1.95.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI