This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Touchscreen problems

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

 

I've acquired a new laptop with Windows 8 and touchscreen.

 

Yesterday the screen didn't respond properly, and the righthandside was "dead".

 

I've tried to calibrate it, but when I get to the bottom righthand corner it just doesn't respond.

 

What do I do now?

 

I really appreciate your help - thanks

 

dianelt

Hi dianelt,
If this is a new machine then it should have a warranty or guarantee or have some sort of protection under consumer protection laws operating in your jurisdiction.

The first port of call should therefore be to contact the vendor of the computer, explain that it doesn't work correctly and ask them to repair or replace it with one that does.

It would not be wise to attempt any self repairs until the above has been done as this might invalidate the warranty, guarantee or your rights under any consumer protection legislation that may be operating in your location.

Post back if you have any questions, but in the meantime good luck in contacting the vendor and achieving a satisfactory outcome.
If you have a moment then we will all be interested in hearing how you get on.
Regards
paws

Hi Paws,

 

Sorry my first attempt appears to be illegible.

 

Yes that was my first thought, but it's rather complicated - let me explain.  I'm British but live in Spain, and I bought the laptop on my last trip to the UK. When I tried to contact HP they directed me to their UK office and failing that, to Ireland!

 

I can't get in touch with their Spanish branch, but will continue to try, though the warranty will probably not be valid here.

 

Meanwhile, I've tried "refresh", but it hasn't made any difference.

 

Any suggestions? Apart from waiting till my next trip, which won't be for a while .

 

Thanks ,

 

dianelt

to be honest it sounds like a hardware problem so there's nothing you can really do yourself to fix the problem.

 

personally i'd visit the manufacturers global web site and see about getting them to repair it.

 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/supportLanding?cc=uk&lc=en

 

don't think it matters where you bought it or are living now, they should get you to send it to then for repair anyway and send it back to where you want.

 

:popcorn:

Sounds like a bit of a mess. I'd try and get in contact with HP in the UK and explain the situation. It may be that you can post the laptop to them and get them to repair it or send a new one. It might cost a bit for postage but at least you'd get it sorted before your next trip to the UK

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI