This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows don't bank online

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

I recently installed Trusteer's Rapport after much reading. It slows me down only a bit.

I enclosed a link which takes you to a page on which you have to click  a couple of pages/links until you get the message that "Windows should not be used for online banking"; it says that one should create a CD with Ubuntu  and do banking from the disc.

 

My take was that you locate the Ubuntu download site, download it to desktop them burn it to cd.   Next insert the disc, and boot from it per your pc, be it BIOS or UEFI. Keep the disc in after booting from it.

Then click on Firefox to go to your bank and enter your username and password. One caveat was to be sure the time was correct as the bank would likely detect the discrepancy if one existed,

 

I am wiring b/c I know Terry for one is a Linux person and others here are skilled to be able to see if my understanding is correct and if this is feasible and practical.

Thank you for your time.. The article by Krebbs is worth a read.

Peter

PS - How do you keep the DVD form installing and just using it to work from - read onlyI think???

 

 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkrebsonsecurity.com%2F2010%2F04%2Fa-closer-look-at-rapport-from-trusteer%2F&ei=8dcZU6C-OsXv0AGd2IHwBQ&usg=AFQjCNEKHow9vRtD5qcywCBL1Ta8Le6dLg&sig2=jTh22tRDzh-Oj8yElGZBoQ

yes that is correct peter, it's called a live cd, there are a number of different ones you can use including some using a windows os, what this means is nothing gets installed or touches the hard drive and everything is run from the cd and within memory.

 

when they start up you get a menu that usually offers a few choices, with 1st/default being "run now" or similar, which is what you'd use, other options would include "install" if you wanted a permanent install to the hard drive, which of course you don't want.

 

:popcorn:

Thank you, terry , as I now know what to expect without installing. It seems to be worth the effort if one is going to use online banking.

I'll see if YouTube has a tutorial but would still be leery of online baking.

best advice i can think of for online banking, besides using a live cd is to never do it over a wifi connection, always have wifi off and use a cable to connect to your router/modem, and never ever do it from a public or friends place. i'd only do it from my own home trusted network connection (not that i do any online banking.)

 

:popcorn:

I was looking at some Live cds and saw the WinPe discs I made with Macrium  for both Win 8 -ver 4, and Win 8.1 -ver 5.

 

Would these cds be considered Live cds that one could run the browser off of to work at sensitive sites?

 

 

I tried to find a tutorial but they referred to specific OS's.

Can you just make a Win 7 Live cd if using 8.1 or do you need to make one with the OS you are using.

If I make Ubuntu, it would be harder to access Windows sites, or not?

 

I was looking at some Live cds and saw the WinPe discs I made with Macrium  for both Win 8 -ver 4, and Win 8.1 -ver 5.

 

Would these cds be considered Live cds that one could run the browser off of to work at sensitive sites?

 

yes they are live cd disc but no you can't use them like a normal live cd, i believe they are limited to single purpose and that is to make backups/recovery of your hard drive, may be wrong tho because i've never ever used them.

 

 

I tried to find a tutorial but they referred to specific OS's.

Can you just make a Win 7 Live cd if using 8.1 or do you need to make one with the OS you are using.

If I make Ubuntu, it would be harder to access Windows sites, or not?

no idea about making windows live cd's because i've never done it, but would think for a windows 7 live cd you'd need a windows 7 os cd to start with and not win 8/8.1

 

doesn't matter what live cd you make, they will all access the internet just like from your windows pc by opening the web browser and you can then browse the internet and go to any site you like. assume that's what you mean when you refer to accessing windows sites.

 

here's a link to opensuse live kde disc :-  http://software.opensuse.org/131/en

 

even tho they are called live cd's you can install them to a usb/thumb drive/stick then boot and run them from there if you don't want to use a cd/dvd.

 

so all you do is download the iso image (distro of your choice.) then either burn it as an image to a cd/dvd and then boot to it on start up to run it or put the iso image on a bootable usb stick and boot to and run it from that on pc startup.

 

when you run a live cd be it from cd/dvd or even a usb memory stick, it will install a desktop environment into memory that looks and behaves more or less exactly the same on your screen as if it was installed and run from your hard drive.

 

:popcorn:

 

this is what a suse kde desktop looks and works like :- http://activedoc.opensuse.org/book/opensuse-start-up/chapter-2-kde-quick-start

now that is more or less the same for both the full desktop install i have on my pc and the way it would work/look running from a live cd too.

That is great news. I am going with Puppy Linux on cd. I have the older bios so will tap F12. I will down load the iso file and burn it to cd. I know to see if it  has an .iso extension.

Thank you

Peter

I have been running in circles trying to find the download site for Puppy Linux as I read it is small yet versatile.

Could someone please point me to that link.

I also read that I need to have a flash drive in with the cd-rw to allow for the "persistence file".

I don't even know what it is and if every disc needs a flash drive with it I will probably not pursue this.

I was hoping to find an obvious Puppy Linux live cd site, download it to desktop then burn it to a c-rw. After it is on the disc, I could then boot to it, then explore with Firefox etc. When done, I could remove the disc and close.

 

I would appreciate some direction as this is all new and I have read and watched as much as i can on my own.

Thank you

you don't "need" a flash drive, and you certainly don't need "persistence file".
in fact persistence files rather defeat the advantage of using a live cd, what happens if a bad guy finds your flash drive, they could have all the data you wanted to keep safe by using a live cd in the first place.
 
here's puppy linux official site :- http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm
here's instructions on how to download it :- http://puppylinux.org/main/How%20to%20download%20Puppy.htm
and this is a direct link to download the slacko-5.5-PAE.iso version. :- http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.5/slacko-5.5-PAE.iso
 

I was hoping to find an obvious Puppy Linux live cd site, download it to desktop then burn it to a c-rw. After it is on the disc, I could then boot to it, then explore with Firefox etc. When done, I could remove the disc and close.

that is exactly what you do with it, and nothing else.
 
:popcorn:

Hi terry

You have certainly cleared up a disaster I was getting myself into, and thank you for that.

The first 2 links are the ones I have read many times but because you included the download link I the 3rd link I now have a link to download and burn.

I will create the disc and be back to let you know how this unraveled.

Thank you again

Peter

I would like to let the forum know what a valuable resource terry has been.

I had some questions that needed addressing and could not find he answer either by Googling or YouTube.

terry pointed out the errors and the right way to proceed and I am very thankful. Sometimes we are stuck with no place to go and it is a very nice gesture to go out of one's way to help. I did at one point mix up pm with forum talk but not intentionally and was appropriately directed back to the forum.  We are lucky to have such great volunteers here. I could list a bunch more like Ztruker and others who have done a great job. For all the unskilled, thank you.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI