This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Boot Up Help

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I am trying to save a neighbors computer and I need some help. They are running windows Me and cant get it to boot. it comes to the compaq splash screan and goes to a blank screen with a blinking underscore thing but you can type into it. I have tried downloading a boot disc from bootdisc.com and when I put it in the computer restart it I get a message saying I/O error. I then tried a live disc version of linux (PHLAK) and I got into the files by mounting the drives. After that I looked through the files not really knowing what to do. I'm thinking that its possible to make a windows boot disc from the system while in linux but i have no idea how. anyone have any suggestions please
hello flyguy1823, Some suggestions, open the case and try reseating the RAM modules, IDE cables etc, disconnect any other drives like cd dvd etc to rule them out. reboot. in the bios setup get it to boot from cd rom first, see if boots from the os cd., is the floppy showing in the post screen.
it wont even get to the option for the BIOS i just get a splash screen. then a command prompt like thing but u cant type any commands into it.
hello flyguy, not being able to get into the bios sounds like a hardware problem. have you tired clearing the cmos, if you know where the jumpers are. or remove battery for 30 seconds (careful with the clip, i broke one once)