Somehow, I wound up with bing as a search engine, and no matter what I do, I cannot get google back. I have tried deleting bing, still shows up. Have set google as the default search engine, still have bing. It's driving me crazy!
same problem different browser…. I've used IE11 since I got my new Dell laptop (windows 8), and it too refuses to let me change from #$%&ing bing back to google.com. HELP!!!
Hello, I just signed up will introduce myself later right now I am I would like to deal with this stressor! I have searched and unfortunately I am not finding any recent post addressing the issue. If I missed them please let me know?
System Info:
Windows 7, IE 11,Version 11.0.9600.17843IS, Update Version 11.0.20 (AVAST Anti Virus)
I Updated my version of IE 11 and in it was offered during the update to “Make BING Your Default Search Engine” Thought I would like to check it out and could easily delete it; however all regular methods of removing have been disabled. Go to Manage ADD-ONS Mouse has been disabled. Go to Search providers it will not let you delete Bing, go to “Find More Search Providers” and it takes you to
Found this, painful but supposed to wrok, haven't tried it yet:
I also can't add Google as provider after recent updates. I uninstalled "KB3038314", and after that I added
Google search provider seamlessly.(Thanks Thomas Albert Adams!)
I just want to add another workaround to able to add Google search provider again with "KB3038314" installed and reset IE settings was applied.
(Tested on Windows 8.1 Pro 32bit.)
Remember: If you have "KB3038314" installed and do "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" Google Search Provider will disappear and can't set it back with "KB3038314" installed, unless you have saved settings for "SearchScopes" key before "KB3038314" was installed.
I recommend to "Reset IE Settings", and "Restore Advanced Settings" everytime a new version/patch/update for IE was installed, to avoid bugged surfing/options/menus/sounds. After that you need to reconfigure your browser settings again.
Let's finish the job…
1. Uninstall "KB3038314" (If you not installed this update go to step 5)
2. Restart PC
3. Start IE and add Google search provider from IE gallery Microsoft site.
4. Close IE
5. Run "regedit" as administrator privilegies nad navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER">>>"Software">>>"Microsoft">>>"Internet Explorer">>>"SearchScopes"
6. Right Click on "SearchScopes" key and click "Export" and save it under what name you want.
7. Close "regedit" and install again "KB3038314"
8. Restart PC
9. Right click on the saved Registration Entries from "Step 6" and click "Merge", press Yes.
10. Run IE, go to "Tools"–>"Manage add-ons"–>"Search Providers" and add/set Google/default search provider.
11. Thats it.
What I did discover is that when you select the "ADD" in the search bar (across from the BING icon) it takes you to http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/addons?callback=true&featuretype=2
Which has a host of additional Search Engine providers and from that you can pick an additional Search Engine provider additionally you can choose to make that additional provider as your primary Search Engine or not?
Still there is now way to remove BING and you are able to get Google etc… via BINGS permission. I still want to be able to remove BING.
The trick is; Open Edge 1st.Within Edge's search box, type Google.com. Use Edge's adv settings to add as Google as default. The browsers opening as above is the little trick but it should not have to be that obscure. Edge 1st then Google.com in the Edge search box, then add in Edge's adv settings.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI