This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Explorer stops working

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

 

I have been experiencing issues with windows explorer. I posted in the virus, spyware, and maleware removal section but it did not correct the issue so I am posting here. The computer randomly tells me Windows Explorer has stopped working and will restart. I did a sfc/scannow command and it created a CBS log which informed me that some files were corrupt and could not be repaired. I am not sure if it is what's needed to fix this issue but if it is, I will post it. Thanks

Are you kidding? You helped clear up some stuff I didn't even know was wrong. I just figured this issue was more of a hardware problem than a virus or malware problem so I posted here. I didn't know you can fix this too!

 

The log is too long to post here so I will attach it.

I probably can't… but I felt safe to say that the Tech Team would like to see the report. :)

 

A couple of the repairs that were made appear to be related to Internet Explorer.  Do you notice any difference since running?

 

When you were running… did is ask for your Operating system disk before saying that the repair failed?

Some times, Windows Explorer problems are caused by shell extensions that "add function"  to the right click Context menu. Try running ShellExView and disable the ones that were added. They are highlighted  in pink. Just right click and Disable.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI