This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

sfc unable to fix corrupt files

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I ran sfc /scannow and got the following message: "Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\Cbs.log". I was denied access to the log, so I cannot post it.

Hi, Try running chkdsk with the r switch from a command prompt with elevated privileges, accept the warnings select Y press enter type Exit and reboot your computer.

 

Leave chkdsk to run undisturbed, you will not be able to use your computer whilst its running and it may take several hours to complete all 5 passes……

the command you need is:

chkdsk /r

When your computer has fully started up (wait 5 minutes or so) then try running sfc /scannow

again…. you may need to run it 2 or 3 three times…with a reboot after each run…

 

What is the fault or symptoms you are trying to fix?

Regards

paws

What operating system, XP, Vista, Windows 7 or 8?

 

For XP, Vista and Windows 7 run SURT (download and install which runs it) then re-run sfc /scannow 2-3 times.

 

For 8 and 8.1, run dism then re-run sfc /scannow 2-3 times.

 

Open a Elevated Command Prompt. Type

 

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

 

and press Enter.

 

That often resolves these problems.

Paws–Tried chkdsk /r. Got this message: "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)" When I type Y and restart, nothing happens (other that a normal reboot).

The fault I was trying to fix is inability to run chkdsk, and repair corrupt files sfc found.

 

Ztruker–my Windows 7 machine didn't recognize the /restorehealth option, so I ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth instead. Here is the log produced.

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.18526
2014-11-06 18:29

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x00000000 servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.mum  Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~11.2.9412.0.mum does not match the actual file name
(f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x00000000 servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.mum  Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~11.2.9412.0.mum does not match the actual file name

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 371
 Found 2 errors
  CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 2

Unavailable repair files:
 servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.mum
 servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.mum
 servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.cat
 servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.cat

Rats, my fault. You need to use SURT for XP, Vista and Windows 7. DISM is for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

 

Please try that.  I updated my previous post.

Dowloaded, installed, and ran SURT. Then ran sfc /scannow twice. Still getting "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." Access denied on opening CBS.log. (I was able to see the log from Command Prompt, saw the word "failed" a lot.)

HI, Rich.  Thought you'd like to know that, as a result of your referral, the problem amitemurray was having has been solved:  sfc /scannow cannot repair corrupted files.

Thanks Corrine. The folks at sysnative.com are fantastic when it comes to sfc problems (and a lot of other problems too).

 

Wish we or GeeksToGo had a course on reading, interpreting and fixing SFC, SURT and DISM logs and file corruption.

I wish to thank the fine folks at both forums, What the Tech and Sysnative, for their excellent and unselfish dedication to helping the common folk get out of the jams they get themselves into! I am in awe of your training and expertise. :clap:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI