I picked up a virus and went through my programmes where I found an HD Codec programme. I googled it and found it was a malware programme disguised as a file needed to play video files.
I deleted it, but the pop-up/extra windows kept opening along with something called mobogenie in the documents file, also a cloud something or other file.
I deleted the mobogenie file and cloud file but the pop-ups and windows keep coming.
Would be very grateful for some help before my laptop has an accident!
I have an acer P253-E, running windows 8.
I've not run the starter tools yet as these are listed for windows 7. Please advise what I do for windows 8.
My name isOCD. I would be more than happy to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems you might have. Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and know that I am working hard to get you a clean and functional system back in your hands. I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
Copy and Paste logs directly into the reply window. DO NOT attach the logs unless specifically instructed to do so.
IMPORTANT NOTE :Please do not delete, download or install anything unless instructed to do so.
DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision. Doing so could make your system inoperable and could require a full reinstall of your Operating System and losing all your programs and data.
Please stay with this topic until I let you know that your system appears to be "All Clear"
Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
Save it to your Desktop.
Windows XP : Double click on the icon to run it.
Windows Vista, Windows 7 & 8 : Right click and select "Run as Administrator"
A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
=========================
[external image: bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif]aswMBR
Download aswMBR.exe and save it to your desktop.
Windows XP : Double click on the icon to run it.
Windows Vista, Windows 7 & 8 : Right click and select "Run as Administrator"
When asked if you want to download Avast's virus definitions please select Yes.
Click Scan
Upon completion of the scan, click Save log and save it to your desktop, and post that log in your next reply for review. Note - do NOT attempt any Fix yet.
You will also notice another file created on the desktop named MBR.dat. Right click that file and select Send To>Compressed (zipped) file. Attach that zipped file in your next reply as well.
So far I have run the Security Check programme (as Administrator) - log below.
I tried to run aswMBR (as administrator). It asked for the Avast virus definitions, which I OK'd. Clicked "Scan" but windows reported the programme stopped. It won't run properly and gives me an Initialise error 1. Log file zipped and attached.
Would you like me to carry on with the other diagnostic programmes or would you rather get aswMBR reporting properly first?
Security Check log:
Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.79
x64 (UAC is enabled)
Internet Explorer 10 Out of date! ``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014
Windows Defender
Antivirus up to date! `````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Adobe Flash Player 11.9.900.170
Mozilla Firefox (26.0) ````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
AVG avgwdsvc.exe `````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: % ````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````
First off I would like to sincerly apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Normally when I reply to a topic the forum automatically subscribes you to that topic, it did not happen with your thread.
Just a thought, I have a copy of windows 7, would it be easier to do a full re-install with this?
I don't have much experience with installing Windows 7 over a Windows 8 installation. If that is what you wanted to do I would probably have to refer you over to our Tech Team.
Would this deal with the problem of the malware??
Yes, any time you reinstall the operating system it will remove the malware.
If you would like to continue, please run this in place of aswMBR. Then continue with my original set of scans.
Once the file has been downloaded, right click on the downloaded file and select the Extract all menu option.
Follow the instructions to extract the ZIP file to a folder called mbar-versionnumber on your desktop.
Once the ZIP file has been extracted, open the folder and when that folder opens, double-click on the mbar folder.
Double-click on the mbar.exe file to launch Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit.
After you double-click on the mbar.exe file, you may receive a User Account Control (UAC) message if you are sure you wish to allow the program to run. Please allow to start Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit correctly.
Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit will now install necessary drivers that are required for the program to operate correctly.
If you receive a DDA driver message like could not load DDA driver, click on the Yes button and Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit will now restart your computer and will start automatically.
Next you can select some basic scanning options. Make sure the Drivers, Sectors, and System scan targets are selected before you click on the Scan button.
Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit will now start scanning your computer for rootkits. This scan can take some time, so please be patient.