For 2 weeks now I've been experiencing internet spikes….throughout the day it's not that bad but it seems like after the sun goes down the internet just stops sometimes I can run a speedtest.net scan and everything goes fine then other times I can't even get through the test. I have cable internet/phone bundle so when the internet lags the phone does too people can't hear me but I can hear them fine I get 15/1 meg….sometimes on the test the 15 is all good and then the upload jumps .2 .4 .8 .9 then back down and up then finishes at 1.04…Everything is hooked up wireless but it also does it hard wired too…..Internet can stay down for 15 min then back up for 30 min and does it all over again….it just started doing this after a big snow storm but like I said it's been going on for 2 weeks and just gets worse at night…..any suggestions would be helpful
There is an important clue that helps us understand what is likely going on, and that is the fact that your phone goes wrong at the same time as your Internet goes wrong and you are receiving both services by cable.
It might be a wise move to phone your supplier and get them to check things out (they will have test gear available to them that will enable them to fault find what is going on with your connection) although sometimes its necessary to send out a technician to physically inspect/repair the faults.
Give them a call and let us know if they fix it and what they have to say.
Ok so after 2 weeks they came today to check everything out 2 hours they checked all lines coming in and out, modem and did some work up on the pole….They thought I was getting too much signal, running hot so they did some mods to try and I guess slow my signal since I was the closes to their amp…..well it worked fine throughout the day like it always does and what do you know as soon as the sun went down (5pm) the net started to lag and spike not too bad……(7pm) hits and it's doing the same thing I can't get through a speed test DS is bouncing from 1.0 to 3.0 ans US not reading I'm sppose to be getting 15/1…..it will do this til about 9 in the morning seems like business hours it works great……it's weird there's something odd about this I don't think it's the my cable,wire, or modem…….and yes I have a password secured modem/router all supplied by the cable company……could it be something at their office? some kind of over load
Tracing route to www.google.com [74.125.225.115]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 4 ms 9 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * 33 ms * [removed].dynamic.dhcp.cable.imctv.com [74.21
4.184.1]
3 * 14 ms 15 ms [removed].IMCTV.dhcp.imctv.com [74.214.178.
225]
4 22 ms 21 ms 21 ms 10.10.100.17
5 50 ms 14 ms 19 ms [removed]
6 * 30 ms 26 ms chi2-pr1-xe-5-2-0-0.us.twtelecom.net [66.192.240
.234]
7 40 ms * * [removed]
8 1884 ms 106 ms 37 ms [removed]
9 * 40 ms 41 ms 209.85.240.150
10 * 45 ms 35 ms ord08s08-in-f19.1e100.net [74.125.225.115]
Pinging www.google.com [74.125.225.116] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 74.125.225.116: bytes=32 time=3022ms TTL=55
Reply from 74.125.225.116: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=55
Ping statistics for 74.125.225.116:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 3022ms, Average = 1530ms
Hi ackjak, This is still looking like a "cable" company issue ( anyway they are the first suspect on this)
I would be inclined to get them back to check things out again…. but only after 6pm ……… as this is when the faults present
Two other steps you could take:
1 Ask your cable company to monitor over at least a 48 hour or longer your cable speeds; (this should catch the after 6pm problems)
2 Take a known good working computer to your home and plug it into your modem( direct)… If this suffers the same "after 6pm" problem, but works well on other networks you have narrowed down the problem area (if it doesn't suffer the same problem when connected directly to your modem then you could try plugging it into your router and see if the problem remains…
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI