This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

WIndows 8 and Home Network - HELP!

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all,

 

Up until now I had a very nice Home Network set up and running with 3 PCs, one running Vista and 2 running XP.

 

I have now got a new PC running Windows 8 (recently upgraded to 8,.1) to replace one of the XP PCs.

 

Now the Home Network doesn't want to work.

 

The Windows 8 PC can see, update and transfer files to and from the XP and Vista PCs, but they can't do anything on the Windows 8 PC. 

 

This is really annoying me, as file transfer, as a back up, is important. Also to allow the wife and children to share files.

 

Can anyone help?

 

The Microsoft Forum has been no help at all, just suggests I use Skydrive.

 

Thanks

Did it work with Windows 8, before the upgrade to 8.1?

 

Look at Windows Firewall in Control Panel on the Win 8 system.

Click on Allow and app or feature through Windows Firewall.

Make sure File and Printer sharing is checked under the Private column.

Hi Thanks for looking at my problem.

 

Problem started when I started the new PC with Windows 8, still there with Windows 8.1.

 

Windows Firewall is switched off as I'm using Windows 360 and that controls my Firewall and Network.

 

I have been using Norton 360 for some time and the network worked fine before.

 

Norton 360 has FULL TRUST on the other PCs on the Network, on all PCs.

 

File and Print sharing is switched on.

Disable Norton 360 then test. If it works then it's a setting in 360.

 

Do you use it on all the computers or only the new Win 8 computer?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI