This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Directly Connecting Two Computers

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Dear all, Some time ago I connected two laptops running xp home. It seems to me that all I did was plug a cable into the machines (I didn't think I even had a crossover cable, since at the time I didn't even know what that was), run the wizard for setting up a home network, and presto: one computer had a Z drive, and the other would read from it. Now I am trying to do the same thing, except I cant make it work. The difference is, one computer runs XP pro and the other vista. Yet this should not create so much trouble, i think. I don't need to do anything fancy, just transfer files. If I did it before, it must be easy, b/c I know nothing about networks. Can anyone tell me the steps in the process, or a link which has some. I have been through a lot of these already and they all say you just run the wizard, which does not work, or they get really complicated, which I am convinced is not necessary since I remember this as being really easy. Here are the facts: Want to share files FROM: Vista machine Want to send files TO: XP Pro machine Have: a regular network cable and a patch cable, one of which I used last time to do this, I'm quite sure. Both computers have a diffetent name and are on the same work group. Both show the workgroup in my metwok places, but not the other computer. My hair is turning grey Thanks in adv… Mike

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI