This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Acer laptop monitor going black; remote monitor works fine

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am not sure which forum I should be starting this thread in? I will switch to the appropriate one as instructed. My Acer Aspire 3620 monitor was cutting out to black. Early on, pushing the wee button that is actuated by closing the lid would bring the screen image back to life; as time went on, it would cut to black sooner and sooner. I found that lowering the brightness setting allowed for the screen to stay lit longer. Eventually the screen basically stays black with only a flicker of the screen image each time I push the lid button. The remote monitor output works fine; I am plugged into a separate monitor and it is working fine; closing the laptop lid does not make the remote monitor go black. This sounds like a weak capacitor somewhere? Would changing out the whole cover fix this or is it a faulty board somewhere in the base? Could it be the LCD CCFL Backlight Lamp or might it be the Lcd Inverter board? :D
Hi tinkering,

The fact that the external VDU works Ok indicates that your video chip is Ok….

Could it be the LCD CCFL Backlight Lamp or might it be the Lcd Inverter board?


Yes a likely cause, assuming the connection is Ok twixt mobo and VDU, is that the inverter has failed or the backlight has failed….

It can help sometimes to shine a torch/flashlight at an angle onto your VDU( from a range of an inch or so, when the screen is black but the computer powered on and Windows loaded…. if you move the torch beam slowly across the screen you may see the "ghostly" image of what should be easily visible (if the VDU was Ok)

Replacing either the inverter or back light is not a difficult job for a handy person and the parts are not too dear, although some folks just buy a complete new screen (if they can find a compatible one) as they prefer to change rather than repair.
Regards
paws

Hi tinkering,

The fact that the external VDU works Ok indicates that your video chip is Ok….

Could it be the LCD CCFL Backlight Lamp or might it be the Lcd Inverter board?


Yes a likely cause, assuming the connection is Ok twixt mobo and VDU, is that the inverter has failed or the backlight has failed….

It can help sometimes to shine a torch/flashlight at an angle onto your VDU( from a range of an inch or so, when the screen is black but the computer powered on and Windows loaded…. if you move the torch beam slowly across the screen you may see the "ghostly" image of what should be easily visible (if the VDU was Ok)

Replacing either the inverter or back light is not a difficult job for a handy person and the parts are not too dear, although some folks just buy a complete new screen (if they can find a compatible one) as they prefer to change rather than repair.
Regards
paws

Connect your laptop VGA port to an external LCD monitor screen to see if your laptop backlight is defective. As a last resort you might need to fdisk, reformat your laptop hard disk clean and reinstall OS. Before going that route, try following simple fixes to see if the problem goes away. Remove the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord from your acer aspire 4937G laptop, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any residual current inside the laptop. This clears your RAM and is like a hardware reset. Replace the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord and turn your laptop on. Boot in "safe mode". As it starts up press F8, the computer ask you if you'd like to start in safe mode. Highlight "safe mode" and press enter. See if your laptop works normal.

Hi tinkering,

The fact that the external VDU works Ok indicates that your video chip is Ok….

Could it be the LCD CCFL Backlight Lamp or might it be the Lcd Inverter board?


Yes a likely cause, assuming the connection is Ok twixt mobo and VDU, is that the inverter has failed or the backlight has failed….

It can help sometimes to shine a torch/flashlight at an angle onto your VDU( from a range of an inch or so, when the screen is black but the computer powered on and Windows loaded…. if you move the torch beam slowly across the screen you may see the "ghostly" image of what should be easily visible (if the VDU was Ok)

Replacing either the inverter or back light is not a difficult job for a handy person and the parts are not too dear, although some folks just buy a complete new screen (if they can find a compatible one) as they prefer to change rather than repair.
Regards
paws

I do have a ghostly image on the laptop's VDU. Does the ghostly image indicate that the inverter is OK, and does the ghostly image indicate the backlight is the problem? Should I replace the backlight first, as it is significantly cheaper for me to find on ebay? Do you know another sight where I can find the parts? I am in Canada.

Connect your laptop VGA port to an external LCD monitor screen to see if your laptop backlight is defective.

As a last resort you might need to fdisk, reformat your laptop hard disk clean and reinstall OS. Before going that route, try following simple fixes to see if the problem goes away.

Remove the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord from your acer aspire 4937G laptop, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any residual current inside the laptop. This clears your RAM and is like a hardware reset. Replace the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord and turn your laptop on.

Boot in "safe mode". As it starts up press F8, the computer ask you if you'd like to start in safe mode. Highlight "safe mode" and press enter. See if your laptop works normal.

I do not have an external LCD monitor but I do have a perfect image on my external tube type monitor when connected to the laptop VGA port
I tried removing the battery and power supply, then holding the power button for 30 seconds. I turned the laptop on and booted it up in safe mode. The laptop still does not work normally. I will try booting in safe mode again, this time checking to see if I have a ghostly image in safe mode too.
Otherwise, does the ghostly image indicate that the inverter is OK, and does the ghostly image indicate the backlight is the problem? Should I replace the backlight first, as it is significantly cheaper for me to find on ebay? Do you know another sight where I can find the parts? I am in Canada.
I rebooted again in safe mode and there is indeed a ghostly image there.

Hi tinkering,
check the inverter board as a first step;
here's a video about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfA280htj0k

Be careful inverters push the voltage up to around 130v so they can bite you if your not careful!
Regards
paws


I found an easier to follow video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DosqhIXmlXk

I have ordered both the inverter and the backlight tube from ebay. I will replace the inverter first; fire it up and replace the backlight if necessary. I will post my installation results.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI