Hello everyone,
I own a Acer Travelmate 4202 that worked always fine. At a certain point when my screen would go cmpletely black and it would go back to normal only if I flipped the lid back and forth for few times.
then it went completely black and didn't work anymore.
The light has never worked anymore but if I put the lcd in bright light I could see everything.
I connected it to an external monitor and the pc is working perfectly.
I changed the inverter board and nothing happened, so I changed the backlight and nothing, I changed the screen and nothing, I finally decided to change the flat cable for the connection!
Nothing!!
My only doubt was that I bought the wrong inverter but how can I be sure? The old inverter had S/N pk070007u00, the new one has pk070005u00, everyone told me it should be ok!
Shall I throw the laptop away!?
What could it be?
Please help me
thank you very much
Hi Hurueli.
There are a couple of things to check here.
When you move the screen back and forth and it goes in and out, this is a sure sign of a bad connection. Usually it is a bad ribbon cable. Eventually the connection breaks all together and the backlight no longer works.
However, there is a small possibility that the lid switch/sensor is malfunctioning or stuck. I have had on occassion the lid switch be stuck in a "closed" position and cause the screen to stay dark. This is a possibility. The lid switch can be a physical switch that is depressed by the screen when it closes, or it can be a magnetic sensor that senses the magnetic field of a stationary magnet that is glued inside the screen. I've never seen a problem with a magnetic sensor, but the physical switches can sometimes get damaged and stuck in a closed position. It is something to consider.
However, in your particular case, I believe the problem was your ribbon cable all along. Please use your original parts and only try the new ribbon cable. I think that you may have incorrectly installed, or used an incompatible part and now your problem has been compounded. I am 99% sure the problem was your ribbon cable, but I am guessing you have more than one issue now. Bear in mind that any of the parts you purchased may also be bad out of the box.
I will tell you that you can check the inverter output with an AC meter and check for it to be putting out between 700 and 1500 volts. I'm not going to tell you any more detail on how to do this, because if you don't have the tools or knowledge already then it is more dangerous for you to attempt this than it is worth.
Thank you for the advice, actually I had been quite careful in buying the parts, consider I live on a tiny Maldivian Island with no possibility whatsoever to access to a specialist. The screen I bought along with the inverter are brand new , only the ribbon lcd cable is used and that's probably causing the issue. As you told me I will try to but a new cable and see if that works!
Thank you anyway for the clear and useful advice.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI