This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Malware

24 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Conspire,

 

I went to My Computer and did a search for C:\Windows\Minidump.  Nothing turned up.  I also did the same for Control Panel.  Is there another way to find the file?

 

Thanks

GB

Try to get in to Safe Mode and look for that folder. If it's not there, try unhiding it.
  • Double-click My Computer.
  • Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
  • Click the View tab.
  • Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types."
  • Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
  • Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.

Hi GB,

 

This topic has been more than a month and we are moving in a rather slow pace. I would strongly suggest that your friend perform a reformat and reinstall for this computer as it will solve the problem much quicker than where we are now.

Conspire,

 

Sorry this is taking so long.  When I reboot into Safe Mode with Networking, it takes 15-20 min. for the computer to reb oot and open the browser, etc.  If I try to open things, too fast, the computer freezes and I have to reboot.   Anyway, I tried upload the mini dump file but when I select it, I get a message saying no file selected for upload. 

 

I agree that this is taking so long.  I do not know if my friend will go for reinstalling Windows.  He does not understand computers that well and thinks other things are causing the problems.  He does not use the computer that much and I am the one using it.  I will tell him about it and hope he goes for it.  I would probably do it myself but I don't know where he even keeps his disc.  Thanks

GB

Normally there is a hidden partition for laptops that is used for restoring back to original factory state. I don't think computers bought from the last 5 years come with a CD for reinstallation. Manufacturers normally encourage users to use that partition to reset the computer state.

 

Do you need help with this?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI