I'm just wondering if I could make a partition on my computer to back up my files to and use a Windows 7 USB to make a clean install of W7 and then transfer my files from the partition once W7 is installed again.
The reason I want to do this is because a few months ago while trying to reformat, my recovery discs were unreadable resulting in a botched reformat leaving me sans operating system. I downloaded the ISO file for windows 7, but it was a different version than my software key is for.
Clear as mud? I'll try and clarify further if there is any confusion.
Thanks!
I'm just wondering if I could make a partition on my computer to back up my files to and use a Windows 7 USB to make a clean install of W7 and then transfer my files from the partition once W7 is installed again.
yes you can.
just make 100% sure your installing to the correct partition otherwise you'll overwrite and lose the data your trying to save.
Download the correct version, otherwise you will not be able to activate it.
If you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, or it's not up to the Service Pack level currently installed, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:
Windows 7 Direct Download Links
Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.
I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file. Just be careful during the install not to accidentally install some of the bundled junk that comes with it. Always take The Custom Install option.
You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.
You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
Select your USB flash drive
Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.
Delete the partition you created then expand the original partition to encompass the unused space. You can try doing this via Disk Management or one of the following programs.