This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Antivirus protection for USB HDD

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm looking for some way to protect my (new) portable hard drive against viruses. I know that I'll probably have to use it on computers that don't have up-to-date antivirus protection, so I want to safeguard as much as I can…

I've had a search around and only found one reference to it on WTT so far - WTT search isn't keen on me using words with less than four letters. There was a recommendation for Flash Disinfector and I've downloaded this, but I was wondering if there are any other programs that now work better (to use instead)?

I've done some Googling, but would trust recommendations from here more :). The other recommendation I've read was Panda, but that wasn't on a tech forum.

Thanks.
The others may know better ways to go, but for me I use Flash Disinfector, this adds a file to the drive to stop auto runs from occurring, but I have a memory of being told that alone may not be enough, but I can't remember any more than that, but you can download portable Anti Virus's, what I would do is the same as I do for my thumb drives, use the tool mentioned already, then before needing to connect to another system, download the latest updates for the portable protection on a clean system, then right click and scan via on any files you may be copying to your drive, there may be better ways, but this is what I do.

There are probably other tools as well, but how far do you go, but just make sure these are updated from a clean system prior to connecting to another system, but ultimately if there is anything on the drive you can't afford to lose then you would be better off using another unit for this sole use, but hope this helps a bit anyway.
McAfee Stinger
ClamWin Portable
Kaspersky TDSSKiller Portable
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
If you are looking for a dedicated antivirus program, then you need to do some deeper search online according to your device security need. However you can trust some of the popular antivirus program for your USB HDD device; like: • USB Drive Antivirus • Softonic Antivirus • Autorunremover • Immunet • Softopedia • Norton • Panda • Avast, etc.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI