Hello
I have been able to upload and send myself a picture.
I noticed the word, "link" and clicked on it. It seemed to create a URL.
How does this link come to play in sending someone a file or picture as I did so w/o it?
Should I use it when sending an item to someone?
Thank you
Peter
I'll keep playing with SkyDrive. I don't know why I was able to send myself a viewable picture without the link.
Sometimes Google's YouTube has good demos.
Where in order does the link come? Before or after the upload?
I haven't conceptualized the function of the link in this process so don't get how it is used; but I will.
Knowing it comes after makes it easier to do -thanx.
I am still playing with it.
I am creating a thread under MS Windows about 'data sources' if you're interested.
I would rather be embarrassed than not know so here goes. I read the "info" but still am a bit confused.
I upload a file. I then right click on it and select sharing.
I see options like send a link, email etc. I have been emailing without the link and it seems to go through..
If I click send a link after the email it removes the email. How doer the link know who the recipient is?
After I click the link I see "remove permissions" but no way to send the file.
I will study the helps again but if there is something I wrote that you can clarify upon I would appreciate it.
Thank you
not really sure what your doing with the link and email because i've never used skydrive, but thought i'd explain how these things usually work.
first you upload your picture to skydrives servers/computer,
they then store it in a way that you and anyone else can access it (depending if it's public or not.),
they do this by storing it on a web server, and giving it a "link" or more exactly an internet location address or url (uniform resource locator)
it's exactly what this forum does for every post and topic so that you and other people can find and read it and is how the internet works.
so when your sending people an email or "link" to your picture you are not sending them a copy of the picture itself from your pc,
what you are actually sending them is the location of where it is stored on skydrives computers so they can view/download a copy of it from skydrives servers/computers.
so i've no idea how your sending people the link/email to your friends using skydrives software so they can find the picture but you must be giving the recipients email address somewhere in the process.
that's all your really sending them is the location of your picture on skydrives server and not the picture file itself.
the way the link is most commonly used in my experience is that people just copy and paste it into posts or social networking sites so others can view the picture they're wanting to share.
hope this clarifies some of your confusion.
That is well put.
What I am missing is how you get the address on the link.
I have no trouble sending it as an email for them to view but the link confuses me. I know that when they receive the link(as a group) they can click on it and access the file but how do you construct the addresses for the link?
Click on the picture, then copy the URL at the top . For instance, one of mine is: Ztruk pic on Skydrive
You can also right click on a pic and select Sharing.
Click on Get a link at left.
Click Create under View Only.
Right click and copy the URL shown. This is the same URL you get if you click on hte picture as I mentiuoned above.
Right click on the picture and select sharing. Click link, create view only, then copy the url.
Now do I paste the url in an email to person/persons?
If so is the above for more than one person, ususally?
For one I think you can enter the email address in the sharing box - ?
you can paste the link where ever you like, in a post, in an email, in a one to one chat window, absolutely anywhere that the other person/people will get it and can then locate the picture you want them to see.
so the link is for everyone in the world and that is how the internet works.
each internet page, picture file etc. has it's very own unique url that will never change.
that way the file/data/page will always be found using it unless the info gets deleted or the server/pc holding the data goes offline/down.
so just to reiterate you can send the link to as many people as you like, anytime you like, using whatever means you want.
I finally got it. As I originally said I would rather learn at the risk of embarrassment than just pass it by.
I see now where it can be used for one person but, more importantly, for many people.
Thank you and Rich for help.