This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

What antivirus programs [Solved]

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have heard from different techs on different forums what they use to keep their computers absolutely clean. I downloaded what they suggested, but i wonder if it is overkill and if any of them do more harm then good. I have: Malwarebytes, Avast, cCleaner, Emisoft Emergency kit (don't understand this one), spyware blaster and spybot. Any opinions?? Thanks.
Hi Patti,

It is always good to hear from you and hope you are well.

Let's go over something…

what they use to keep their computers absolutely clean.

There is no antivirus, antimalware, firewall software that can keep your system absolutely free of viruses or what-not 100% of the time. Unfortunately, the malware writers are constantly making more and more variants of infections and until one of these variants is seen by the security software, it can not protect you from it. The only thing that you can do is be as cautious about security as you can. I would advise you on a few things that would help to keep your system clean….

1. Use common sense. Don't go to sites that might be bad such as peer-to-peer, adult themed or anything like that or download/click anything that you are not familiar with regardless of if it is a link on a page or in your email. If you don't know it….don't open it.

2. Keep all of your software up-to-date. This includes Windows, security software, Java (if you use it), Adobe (if you use that) or any other program that is on your system.

3. Make sure all of your passwords are non-dictionary passwords to make it more difficult for someone to guess your password and get access to your system.

4. Use only one antivirus program (Avast), one malware program (Malwarebytes) and a firewall. I put what I use in (*****)

5. Repeat #1 Common sense.

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much. I always get a pop up that says update your adobe flash player - should I be doing this? I also don't have java on this computer I don't think. Also, are you familiar with the workings of Avast or should I go into their forum? Thanks.
Are you the one who recommended the emsisoft program? I need to find the directions about that program that i was told. Thanks.
Hi Patti,

Glad that I was able to answer some more of your questions as they are always well thought out and to the point. :)

I always get a pop up that says update your adobe flash player - should I be doing this?

Yes you should.

I also don't have java on this computer I don't think.

Ok then nothing to worry about.

Also, are you familiar with the workings of Avast or should I go into their forum?

You might be best served by questioning at their forums for the best possible answers.

Are you the one who recommended the emsisoft program?

No I have never recommended that tool (not that it is bad).
I think I am gettng there. You had a screenshot of a program to download - am I supposed to do that I question having spybot on here. I press scan and it takes about 3 seconds and is done - am I working it right? What is its purpose then? I also installed flash player and now don't get popups on it all the time. Don't know if I needed it or not. I have questions about Avast, but have to wait until I get the info again before I can send a screenshot. If it catches a threat, it gives you all these options of what to do with it. If I remember it says ignore, repair, delete or send th chest. I sent to chest and then it went to a screen that went forever and I finally stopped it. It was hours. What should I have picked there? If you don't understand, I can send you a screenshot when it happens again. So far it hasn't found anymore threats. Thanks for all your help. Patti

You had a screenshot of a program to download - am I supposed to do that

I don't see any screenshots??

I question having spybot on here. I press scan and it takes about 3 seconds and is done - am I working it right? What is its purpose then?

Well I really can't say for sure. I have not used Spybot for a couple of years.

it says ignore, repair, delete or send th chest.

I think that sending it to the chest is always good unless you know for sure that the file is bad. If it turns out the file is ok you can always take it out of the chest back to where it was originally. Now as to why it might have taken that long I just am not sure with the information that you provided. There are many reasons to why it may have taken that long to put in the quarantine chest.
As I said, after it was going for hours and then said it was going to scan for files I think, is when I turned it off I will just have to wait till it happens again and let you know. But you are recommending I send it to the chest, that is what I wanted to know for now.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI