This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

I just got a laptop for a case of beer

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hi there, I've used the HiJackThis forum a few times, but this is lightweight compared to a lot of those issues. Basically, I now own a Dell Inspiron 1100, which supposedly did not even run. My first clue that it might be salvagable was that there were 267 files in the trash. Next, I managed to get a copy of CCleaner loaded and cleaned out 575 megs of garbage. So now it runs… does not overheat and shut down. Everything is going well. I would like to know what you guys would recommend as a good freeware antivirus program. Jeff

Hi,
Congratulations on your new acquisition, I hope things run smoothly for you from now on.

I can recommend three very good free programs

Avira AntiVir. http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html
Avast, http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
AVG, http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tp…anti-virus-free

It's a good idea to set your antivirus to receive automatic updates so you are always as fully protected as possible from the newest virus threats. If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

NOTE: DO NOT install more than one anti-virus program. They will conflict, and provide less protection, not more.


read this link for great self help fixes for keeping your system healthy.

Good luck CB

Hello,

Great you got the system going, good work, well done.

CCleaner is a very good program, but I also would suggest you download ATF-Cleaner.exe by Atribune as an alternative to run ocassionally.

Good luck with the new computer. Post anytime for help if you need it.

kind regards,
RE: Inspiron 1100 rejuvenation: Thanks. Got ATF-cleaner and Avast. All is well. I am trying to clean out the HD 20 gigs. Can't get more than 10 gigs free. There must be hidden files as there is virtually nothing in the documents folder now. I have DirGraph which shows where all the data is. I would have liked to attach a pdf of the graph here, but I don't know how to do that. Planning to upgrade RAM from 256 to 1 Gig. I welcome any suggestions as to how to make this laptop lean and very clean. Probably should post a HiJackThis log at some point. Other things on my mind: Can't uninstall Quickbooks The touch pad does not scroll. would a driver update fix that? Have not tested the battery yet … but the previous owner thought it needed one. Best place to shop? What is the best browser for this little laptop? Or doesn't it matter? I also have a wireless router in the box but have no experience with this… may need help setting it up here at home This laptop has a Netgear PCMCIA card … again I have no experience at all with wireless and how to optimize it. So far no problem with overheating. I do have a chill pad under this thing and I am running a Celeron processor, which I understand is cooler. The previous owner was told by a repair shop that this laptop could not be repaired… he wasn't sure what was supposed to be wrong with it. It would just lock up. Just some thoughts Thanks again.

There must be hidden files as there is virtually nothing in the documents folder now.

If you think that there are literally some files marked as Hidden and not showing up, you can enable viewage of them by opening Windows Explorer and going to Tools > Folder Options > View and checking the circle called "Show Hidden Files and Folders". Be careful though as not everything marked as hidden is meant to be discovered and rummaged through.

I welcome any suggestions as to how to make this laptop lean and very clean. Probably should post a HiJackThis log at some point.

Using ATF-Cleaner weekly is an excellent way to free up small amounts of space and keeping your computer cache clean. If you wish to get a Malware check up then feel free to post your HTJ log in the HijackThis™ Logs and Infections Removal Board.

Also, if you are interesting in keeping a clean computer, I suggest NTREGOPT for your registry, it is a free registry optimizer/cleaner that works fairly well. You can download it from here.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

And don't forget to get all the High Priority updates as well as checking out the Software and Hardware updates from www.update.microsoft.com.

The touch pad does not scroll. would a driver update fix that?

Well it shouldn't hurt, again you can check www.update.microsoft.com for major hardware updates too, although they may not have one for your touch pad.

What is the best browser for this little laptop? Or doesn't it matter?

Well, your the best one for telling us if it matters. Do you use the internet often? For gaming? For downloading? In short, people either stick with the latest version of Internet Explorer or they get it's free competitor, FireFox. I use and suggest FireFox which you can get from www.firefox.com.

As for your other questions and concerns, I suggest you make new topics in the appropriate Boards for them so as not to flood your welcome topic with help and advice on random issues. Anyways, best of luck with your new computer!